HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   CZ VS Savage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/285985-cz-vs-savage.html)

HEAD0001 02-10-2009 01:18 PM

CZ VS Savage

I am getting ready to buy a new 204 Ruger. I am wanting a fast handling and fairly lightweight rifle.It will be used as a short distance ground hog rig(out to 300 yards). I have decided on the 204 because it is a flat shooting SOB out to 300 yards, and that will be the max. distance this rifle will be used at. And I believe this cartridge to be adequate on GH's out to 300 yards.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. Either a Savage or a CZ. I would have considered the Tikka but they do not make a LH 204 Ruger.

The features the rifle must have are a good trigger, removable magazine, accuracy is important, light weight, fast handling, and a firm stock.

I can buy the CZ with the set trigger for $60 more than the Savage model 14. Blued with walnut is perfectly acceptable. The rifle will be a fair weather rifle. I am leaning toward the CZ with the set trigger. What do you guys think?? Tom.

Pygmy 02-10-2009 02:58 PM

RE: CZ VS Savage

The CZ is very high quality for the money...

I own a CZ 550 in a chambering that is ANYTHING but a varmint rifle...

It's a 9.3 x 62, but it THINKS its a varmint rifle... It shoots 1/2 " 3 shot groups with 250 grain bullets...

The single set trigger is great...It is easily adjustable with instructions in the manual and it works very well, both in its set mode or using it as a single stage trigger.. For hunting, I use the single stage mode, but for working up loads off the bench, the set trigger option is great, and it would work very well in a varmint rifle...

Nothing against the Savage .. Savage rifles are noted for accuracy and the accutrigger is an excellent feature.. However, I think the superior fit, finish and accuracy of the CZ, plus the set trigger makes it a better choice..

Hurricanespg 02-10-2009 03:39 PM

I would go with the Savage. Fits your wants to a T....especially if you get the '09 model since you should get the accu stock.
I would put the model 14 and 114 looks, fit, and finish up against the CZ, Browning X Bolt, Remington BDL, CDl, etc. any day.

Bernie P. 02-12-2009 05:09 AM

Cant go wrong with either.

DM 02-12-2009 05:58 AM

Set triggers "decrease" lock time, that's the opposite of what you want forMAX accuracy... One reason 700 Remingtons are so accurate is because of there "very" fast lock time.

DM

stalkingbear 02-12-2009 09:34 AM

I'd go with the CZ in a heartbeat! The single set trigger on these are a dream to use. Contrary to the previous poster, shorter lock time makes it easier to shoot more accurately. Lock time don't have any effect on actual physical accuracy as applied to rifle in vised shooting machine. The ONLY faults I found with CZ were: bolt needed lapping BADLY, and longer magazine stuck out too far to carry slung comfortably on shoulder for very long.

DM 02-12-2009 12:43 PM

Lock time don't have any effect on actual physical accuracy as applied to rifle in vised shooting machine.
I don't think hunters use shooting vises to shoot at animals with...

The fact remains, set triggers are detrimental to getting the best accuracy out of any rifle...

BTW, my"go to gun"has a set trigger, and i rarely use it because of the above reason.

DM

stalkingbear 02-12-2009 01:21 PM

I'd SURE like to know HOW IN HECK you figure set triggers are detrimental to accuracy!!!! The FACT remains that most set triggers, in unset mode, are vastly better than 99% of factory OR replacement non-competition triggers. PLEASE share with us HOW an properly adjusted set trigger in non-set mode will hurt field accuracy.:D

Most set type triggers, in unset mode when properly adjusted, provide an crisp, no perceptible movement, light trigger-how can you improve on that and HOW does THAT hurt accuracy?

ORIGINAL:
I don't think hunters use shooting vises to shoot at animals with...

The fact remains, set triggers are detrimental to getting the best accuracy out of any rifle...

BTW, my"go to gun"has a set trigger, and i rarely use it because of the above reason.

DM
[/quote]

DM 02-12-2009 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'd SURE like to know HOW IN HECK you figure set triggers are detrimental to accuracy!!!! The FACT remains that most set triggers, in unset mode, are vastly better than 99% of factory OR replacement non-competition triggers. PLEASE share with us HOW an properly adjusted set trigger in non-set mode will hurt field accuracy.:D

Most set type triggers, in unset mode when properly adjusted, provide an crisp, no perceptible movement, light trigger-how can you improve on that and HOW does THAT hurt accuracy?
Before you have a heart attack, lol i SHOULD HAVE SAID,

"The fact remains, set triggers are detrimental to getting the best accuracy out of any rifle WHEN USED IN SET MODE"...

Sorry, iSHOULD have had that in my origional post, as that is what i ment.

BTW, any trigger can be made to be a good trigger, if someone wants to spend the time to get it there... Once there, it will be a better trigger than a set trigger used in set mode...

DM