Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What Gun Case for Airline Travel? >

What Gun Case for Airline Travel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What Gun Case for Airline Travel?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default What Gun Case for Airline Travel?

Ok, headed to Florida for a spring hunt, and having issues finding a gun case that conforms to the airlines RIDICULIOUS size limits.

Last night on the phone Delta told me that my case had to be under 62 linear inches (height+width+length=total) or I would be charged $175 for oversized baggage!!!!

So far I have only found 1 plastic gun case that meets this requirement and have found NO metal sided gun cases that meet this requirement. 62 inches to me seems absurd, especially when they allow fishing pole cases to reach 80 linear inches.

Anyway, does anybody have any experience with this, advice, or suggestions? This is the first time I have ever flown with firearms.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Gun Case for Airline Travel?

How close are some of the cases?

If you shmooze them a bit they won't charge you.

I've never been charged for oversized baggage.

Tom
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The airlines have been a nighmare for flying firearms for the past 20 years. And every year it is getting worse. They can do whatever they want when you are in the airport standing there with your weapon. you will be forced to pay them whatever they want. So my question is why put yourself in that situation?? I remember one time in Nashville, the airport(not the airline) confiscated 2 boxes of WBY. ammo. And they would not give it back.

The best thing to do is to ship your rifle through Fed Ex before you fly. This cost for shipping is normally $20-$30. And it is worth every penny. You will know for sure that your rifle is there before you even leave home.

Not only is the charges that the airlines charge ridiculous. You also have to pay them extra to guarantee that they will not loose your luggage. Lost luggage is a real problem. I learned long ago that you should always ship your most essential equipment ahead of time, and make sure it is where you are going. That little extra cost is worth the peace of mind. That little extra cost can makekeep a very enjoyable trip from turning into a nighmare. I know this for sure, because it has happened to me.
I remember standing in the Denver airport, and my Sage fly rods were in Albuquerkee(spelling). And once my rifle turned up in Salt Lake City. Never again for me. I got my stuff back. But the problem was it was waiting for me in Nashville when I got back!! Tom.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Spike

I have considered UPS/FedExing. May still go that route.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

FedEx yes
UPS no

I have had more than my fair share of well packed shipments damaged by UPS, including a bow that clearly had forklift tracks over it.
Not a single problem with FedEx.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

FedEx yes
UPS no

I have had more than my fair share of well packed shipments damaged by UPS, including a bow that clearly had forklift tracks over it.
Not a single problem with FedEx.

You are absolutely right. Notice in my post I said FedEx, and never even listed UPS. Tom.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

I thought i read somewhere for the money the Pelican's are tough to beat. Pretty much armour....
Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had any problems taking a rifle case on an airline....

Buy a pelican double rifle case...

Size limits? I'm sure it's a special size....and sure probably a charge....but if you're worried about that then I suppose you ought to buy a breakdown rifle....that folds up into a briefcase....I think Dakota builds one...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: salukipv1
Size limits? I'm sure it's a special size....and sure probably a charge....but if you're worried about that then I suppose you ought to buy a breakdown rifle....that folds up into a briefcase....I think Dakota builds one...
Dude, you obviously have more money than me. Buy a new gun? Pay the $175 oversize fee? My airline tickets only cost $209!!!

This is NOT a guided $1500 Osceola turkey hunt I am going on. This is hunting with my buddy who has land in Florida on a budget. Prolly gonna cost me less than $500 to do this, and I would like to keep it that way.

Quick Reply: What Gun Case for Airline Travel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.