Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil? >

Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

I've been using Outers gun oil since I've been cleaning guns just because that's what Wal-Mart has had and it's done okay for me.
Anyway, I'm getting low and Wal-Mart has Remington oil for $.50 more than the Outers however it's a 10 oz can vs a 5 oz can that Outers has. So basically with the Remington oil I'd pay $.50 more for twice as much oil so it's quite a bit cheaper.

Which is better? Should I stick with the outers is is the Remington just as good or better? I want something I can wipe down my guns with and also that I can run a patch through the barrel after I'm done cleaning it so I don't have to worry about them rusting if they don't get used for quite a while.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

I've been using the outers forever also.I cant see remington oil being bad but I have no personal experience with it.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 for the metal parts tolubricate and prevent rust(including the barrel). IMO, thismakes a great gun oil, and any otherfull synthetic10W-30 should also work well. I chose Mobil 1 because it has one of the lowest pour points (AmsOil is betterbut also much more expensive).Regular gun oil is quite often just a mineral oil. I keep all oils that are not made specifically for woodoff the wooden parts.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I forgot to mention that I use an eye dropper so I do not contiminate the oil in my container.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM

I use Rem Oil but I am sure there is nothing wrongwith the Outers either.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like RemOil because it sort of dries up after you apply it. Yeah, you will leave fingerprints on any surface that has it applied if you touch it. RemOil also has Teflon in it.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd been using Rem oil but I've recently come across some posts that say the Teflon in it can cause problems.For the time being until I can learn more about that I've only used Butches oil in my new Ruger Hawkeye.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

I'd been using Rem oil but I've recently come across some posts that say the Teflon in it can cause problems.For the time being until I can learn more about that I've only used Butches oil in my new Ruger Hawkeye.
There's nothing wrong with using oil containing Teflon on weapons. There was a rumor started by a bunch of shotgun guys that basically had no substance.

Take a look at the MSDS's for some of the products you use and you'll be surprised at what they actually contain.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Remoil is extremely good stuff. Put it in your freezer. It will still be a liquid in the morning. It is a nice blend of solvents & oil so that after the solvent evaporates, you have a near perfect amount of oil remaining, not enough to glom up with dirt & powder residue. The solvent keeps it thin so that it can get into minute areas as well as help to displace moisture.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's okay to put inside the barrel too right? I'm using it in the bore and to wipe down the guns. Is this how it's meant to be used?

Quick Reply: Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.