Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil? >

Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 AM

Default RE: Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

RemOil is a good product, there's a reason it has been around for a long time. These days I use Break-Free, just because I got in the habit at work, but there's nothing wrong with RemOil. I had not thought about using Syntec on a weapon.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I like RemOil because it sort of dries up after you apply it. Yeah, you will leave fingerprints on any surface that has it applied if you touch it. RemOil also has Teflon in it.
Couldn't agree with you more on the DRYING UP part? They call that VARNISH!?!

I will not use Rem-Oil for this reason. I have seen it time and time again gum-up a lever actions to the point of having to remove the VARNISH from all the moving parts to get the rifles to operate again.
Ballistol, Butches Bore Shineand Break Free are the best products out there to use. IMO

Ballistol is bio-degradable, water soluble,and will never gum or harden, also works well on cleaning black powder(and substitutes powder)rifles. Has been around since the turn of the 20th century designed by a German Chemist and his son for the military. It is an all purpose protection product that works on all types of metals, wood, leather, synthetics, rubbers, ect. Actually was called the "miracle oil" back in the day.

Butches Bore Shine is a very good bore cleanerto get copper fowling and powder residue removal. Note: Don't get on the wood!

Break Free CPL as good of penetrating oil and preservative made for metals. 2 NOTES: Don't use it on wood and always run a dry patchdown barrel and chamber to remove any excess residue after done cleaning.
Break Free Powder Blast is a fantastic powder residue cleaner, especially for them 22 rifles that have never been cleaned?

Now this is my opinion and no one has to believe my word. But if you try these, you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Break Free CLP is okay to use in the bores to keep them from rusting too?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, be verycareful if you use Break-Free CLP as a lubricant. This oil is also a penetrating oil. Any oil has the potential to affect the primer and/or gunpowder if it comes in contact witha cartridge, but a penetrating oil has more potential to affect the primer and/or gunpowder.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

hometheaterman

I added a little more information to the above post. I hope it helps you.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 AM

I use Rem oil.I put it on the external metal parts and also on inside the barrel after a good cleaning.I have nothing but good things to say about it.Also have used outers ,and I can't see any difference in them.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is a little off topic but, Have you considered Ezox or Kroil oil? I use both and like them quite well .I think yhe Troil is better.I read somewhere that the bench people are swearing by the Kroil now.Wish I would have known years ago as I have almost unlimited supplies of the stuff.What do you guy's think of these?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 AM

i've used 5w30 for at least 35 years. never had any rust, and that's living in alaska too. these days i either used breakfree clp or 3 in 1 household oil because that's what the kids got for me several years ago. still no rust or malfunctions. they gave me some remoil, but it didn't do anything different than 5w30. as for getting oil on wood, i would think most know that is something to be avoided.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

am i the only person that uses gun slick oil?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use to use Remoil until my rifles started rusting. imo Remoil doesn't last nearly long enough when storing rifles between use. the oil evaporates and the metal will rust. i started using heavier oils.

Quick Reply: Remington Oil vs Outers Gun oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.