Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What do you guys use to sight your guns in? >

What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

What kind of setup do you guys use to sight your vise in? Do you just use sandbags or do you use a vise or what? I'm basically looking for the best vise out there to basically take all the human error out of it. I want to see what kind of groups my gun will shoot without having to worry about me moving or anything. So I want something that will hold it still. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

I used to use sand bags, but I now use the Lead Sled. I can't say it is any easier with the Lead Sled, but it does reduce recoil so that is a plus.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is the regular Lead Sled good or is the dual frame one worth the extra $80? I like the looks of it but I've heard the gun will sink down in the front bags every shot so that it's not the best for accuracy. That was just one review I read that got me worried. Have you seen this? A guy I used to know had a nice vise where it did move some but not much when in it. It was just a metal vise where it held the front of the gun and on the rear the stock fit snugly into the vise. Then you could aim and shoot. Not 100% perfect but I liked it a lot. I wish I knew what kind it was. He got it used at a yard sale for cheap. I wish I could find deals like that.

Basically the lead sled is the only one I know of right now and I've seen mixed reviews for it.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is quite common for gun vices to cause a different point of impact.A gun vice that prevents the gun from recoiling can also result in a cracked stock.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not noticed any kind of gun sinking down on the front of the Lead Sled. It has a firm front rest that is covered with vinyl/leather/pleather typed material so realistically there is no chance for the gun "sinking" during/before the shot. It really is like shooting off of sandbags except you have adjustability and a bit of recoil reduction built in. Personally, I would not spend the extra amount for the dual frame. The original soaks up a lot of recoil.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Caldwell Sled.
Got it at Cabelas for $99 on sale.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

It is quite common for gun vices to cause a different point of impact.A gun vice that prevents the gun from recoiling can also result in a cracked stock.
A cracked stockcan be a problem. I would use a vicefor adjusting the sights to reduce the time and ammo for sighting in, but I never SHOOT from a vice. It is also true that having the butt of the stock against anything other than your shoulder will most likely affect the POI.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Couldnt say it any better ,Leadsled is #1 in my book
Old 01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is the Lead Sled okay to use and wont crack the stocks? Not sure calling his a gun vise is the best thing as it's more like the Lead Sled but not exactly. The front forearm just rests in a Y and the rear stock goes into a piece sort of like on the lead sled.

Mine is a vise where you clamp it down on the sides but doesn't hold the rear.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use either bags or a shooting rest that DON'T clamp to the rifle in any way, just nestles it.

Quick Reply: What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.