Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 vs Savage 110 >

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

I sent you a pm.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't appear to have gotten it.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

both are good guns , i have both . but i'de go for the remington as it's $77.00 cheaper , and it's in a cartridge other than one that you allready have so you can set it up to do and perform differently or in other words , speciallize it
Old 01-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have the 700 SPS in stainless, and it's a great shooting rifle. Mine is a 30-06. $300 is a very good price, but to get full potential out of it, you'll probably need a gunsmith to adjust the trigger. Around here thatcosts around $60-$70, but it'sworth every penny. Nice thing about the 700 is they are easy to customize since aftermarket/custom parts are everywhere.

My brother has a 110, and it too is a great shooter. The accu-trigger is nice.

At the end of the day, with a trigger adjustment on the 700, cost wise it's a push for either gun. My personal preference is the 700, but I think you'll behappy with either firearm.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Between those 2 rifles in NO WAY would I choose the Savage over the Remington, especially considering having to pay 77$ extra for the junk scope you'll have to replace soon anyway. I've never been much on Savage since years ago had a LOT of trouble with them. I swore right then I'd never help them make another penny. The Remingtons are much better IMO, and the action is VERY popular as basis to build custom rifles from, Savages, not so much. That SHOULD tell you something.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That SHOULD tell you something.
All of them are in need of work? JK
Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Savage boasts long range accuracy from their palma rifle, which is based off the same action. They finished second in the big palma competition. You know who beats them year after year. Either a big european company, or Remington. Just put it this way. When the Army Marksmenship unit was looking for a Sniper rifle they turned to remington. The guns all the service men use as sniper rifles areuseing the remington 700 action, and barrel.
Id chose a remington. Any day. Even if the savage was cheaper.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:05 PM

I have shot "tactial" setups of both the Remmy and the Savage at work, and I also bought a 7mmMag savage on sale at wallworld for $170 that shot sub-moa right out of the box. Based on performance alone, I would go with the Savage. I got better, more consistent results out of both Savages than out of any of the Remington's. Not that Remingtons were trash, just that I got better use out of the Savage in my experience. Fit and finish were similar on both, with the slight edge going to Savage. Remington had the better stocks, except my work rifle, which had a Mac stock.

I just bought a new bolt-action in .30-06. I got the sub-moa Weatherby, just to try something different. Plenty of good hardware out there, don't paint yourself in a corner based on stuff that gets tossed around the internet campfire. Get what fits you and your mechanics, and you can shoot well. And get it while it's still legal to own.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brod_Man

Savage boasts long range accuracy from their palma rifle, which is based off the same action. They finished second in the big palma competition. You know who beats them year after year. Either a big european company, or Remington. Just put it this way. When the Army Marksmenship unit was looking for a Sniper rifle they turned to remington. The guns all the service men use as sniper rifles areuseing the remington 700 action, and barrel.
Id chose a remington. Any day. Even if the savage was cheaper.
I see the Palma team analogy a little differently than you do. As Stalkingbear pointed out there are far more 700 based rifles in these competitions than savage and yet the Savage team is able to finish 2nd. That demonstrates that the Savage on average actually outperformed the Remingtons and European rifles. For example if Savage is only 10% of the competitors and they beat 95% of the field it would seem the Savages are on average grouping better than the Remmys would it not. What you failed to point out is that the Savage is a true factory rifle and the Remintons on the other hand are custom built off a Remington action. In addition the Savage Palma team only started in 2006 not to bad in 3 years.

The Remingtons are much better IMO, and the action is VERY popular as basis to build custom rifles from, Savages, not so much. That SHOULD tell you something.
No custom rifle builder in his right mind is going to recommend a Savage action to build off of. Anyonewith modest mechanical abilitycan buy a prechambered Matchgrade barrel from Shilen, Pacnor etc for $250-300 and install the barrel with a go-no go gauge. The accutrigger is adaquate for most shooters and that eliminates the custom trigger. That means no action work or chambering work etc and the $1,000 dollars in gunsmithing becomes a pass thru charge on a $250 barrel at 15% profit margin. If you are trying to make a living gunsmithing what are you going to recommend?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott Gags-you're still forgetting the importance of lapping bolt lugs, truing action,etc.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.