Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What do you guys use to sight your guns in? >

What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

It does not allow the rifle to recoil naturally.
The rifle still recoils naturally. The rifle is still free to, and does produce muzzle jump.

And it will have a different POI when the rifle is shot in the hunting condition.
I have not found this to be true in any way.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot initially from a standard front rest with sandbag and rear sandbag. Then I shoot from prone and confirm offhand and sitting at appropriate distaances.

I can tell you my prone point of impact is a hair different than my rested POI. I adjust to the prone. Sitting and offhand confirmation are as much for pracctice as real confirmation as the groups are larger so adifferent POI is hard to see. The reason prone is my baseline is because if I take a long shot in the field, it will most likely be prone.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

It does not allow the rifle to recoil naturally.
The rifle still recoils naturally. The rifle is still free to, and does produce muzzle jump.

And it will have a different POI when the rifle is shot in the hunting condition.
I have not found this to be true in any way.

A rifle basically recoils in 2 directions. Backward, and the muzzle jumps upward. Please explain to me how a lead sled allows a rifle to recoil backwards?? Why do you think 2 different people shoot the same rifle and scope combination to a different impact?? Because they pull the trigger differently??--NO. Two people shoot the same rifle to a different POI because a rifle recoils differently when 2 different people shoot the rifle.

Any type of rest that you use changes the type of recoil, hence changes the POI in a hunting situation. Have you ever shot a bipod from a hard top rest like concrete, then shoot it form the hood of a truck?? Try it sometime, you will be surprised by the different POI's.

You may be one of the lucky ones and get similar POI's at short distances, but I would bet you it don't happen on 300 or 400 yard shots.

Just think about it in simple terms. Where does the recoil go?? The only way it can go is stragiht up(in muzzle flip). Now do you honestly believe you can hold a rifle in a hunting situatiuon in the samer manner??

You will notice less change in POI with a faster cartridge because the bullet has less time in the barrel(and the rifle has less recoil). The slower and heavier recoiling cartridges have a greater change in POI. This is why a heavier-slower bullet in a pistol normally has a higher POI(more time in the barrel)--The muzzle is higher when the bullet exits the barrel. Tom.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I use two different setups depending on where I am shooting. I have an inexpensive ($20 Walmart) plastic gun vise that simply holds the gun steady on the bench...rifle recoils freely...use on the local public range and have shot repeated sub-MOA groups with it and my Savage 7mm Remington Magnum.

When shooting at my mountain retreat in eastern Kentucky, I use a shooting rest my father, a machinist for 40 years, made me using two inch square tubing with five different adjustment systems (based loosely on a simple design from Cabelas that he was determined to improve)...it weights in at about 80 pounds by itself and neutralizes even the recoil from my 3" 2 oz turkey loads in a Remington 870 shotgun...it really does remove the human factor from shooting...I use it to work up new loads and verify sights with a minimum of fuss...it lets medo more beneficial field shooting(rather than wasting ammo shooting inaccurately from a bench).
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

A rifle basically recoils in 2 directions. Backward, and the muzzle jumps upward. Please explain to me how a lead sled allows a rifle to recoil backwards??
The rifle recoils backwards hitting the rear of the rest, and the majority of the recoil is absorbed through the rest instead of the shooter.

Why do you think 2 different people shoot the same rifle and scope combination to a different impact?? Because they pull the trigger differently??--NO. Two people shoot the same rifle to a different POI because a rifle recoils differently when 2 different people shoot the rifle.
Primarily it is due to different physical make ups and the human element. How much does one shooter cock their head, how far off are their eye alignments, is ones neck longer, does one shooter like to have their eye closer to the scope, does one have a tighter cheek weld, how tight is ones grip on the rifle, does one cant the rifle to one side, etc.

Any type of rest that you use changes the type of recoil, hence changes the POI in a hunting situation. Have you ever shot a bipod from a hard top rest like concrete, then shoot it form the hood of a truck?? Try it sometime, you will be surprised by the different POI's.
You will generally have smaller rests with the bipod on the hard top rest because the surface that you are using to steady yourself is in itself much steadier than the hood of a truck. It has nothing to do with recoil, instead it has more to do with introducing unstable shooting elements into the equation.

You may be one of the lucky ones and get similar POI's at short distances, but I would bet you it don't happen on 300 or 400 yard shots.
Luck has nothing to do with it, and yes I have very similar POI's at 300 and 400 yards. The only reason it is not exact is because you are introducing more of the human element into the equation shooting without the rest.

Just think about it in simple terms. Where does the recoil go?? The only way it can go is stragiht up(in muzzle flip). Now do you honestly believe you can hold a rifle in a hunting situatiuon in the samer manner??
The recoil is still there. It goes into the rest instead of the shooter. The only difference in a hunting situation is that you are feeling the recoil instead of the rest.

You will notice less change in POI with a faster cartridge because the bullet has less time in the barrel(and the rifle has less recoil). The slower and heavier recoiling cartridges have a greater change in POI. This is why a heavier-slower bullet in a pistol normally has a higher POI(more time in the barrel)--The muzzle is higher when the bullet exits the barrel.
To an extent I will agree with this. However when shooting out of the lead sled or any other rest it is irrelevant as you will have the same issue with or without it.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Outers varmint rifle rest
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

The recoil is still there. It goes into the rest instead of the shooter. The only difference in a hunting situation is that you are feeling the recoil instead of the rest.
I think this is where we really differ our opinions(I just love a good discussion). Are you trying to say that the rifle is allowed to backward recoil in the lead sled, the same way you have backward recoil when the rifle recoils into your shoulder, and pushes the shooter in the backward direction??

IMO when you put 50# of lead shot to keep the rifle from going backwards it causes the rifle to have increased muzzle flip?? Do you not agree that the rifle has more upward flip if it is not allowed to recoil in the backward direction?? Really?? Tom.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001
. . .
Do you not agree that the rifle has more upward flip if it is not allowed to recoil in the backward direction?? Really??. . .
I agree It is because the bore, recoil force line is above the support, shoulder or rest contact point on the stock. This causes the upward recoil.

Back to the main point rest vs. unrested POI. . . I think a consistent BR set up will give you a pretty good hunting POI. I rarely adjust more than a click or 2 at 100 yards. I also think, it is possible to setup a rest which recoils like a person. I have never seen someone try. Basically, all on needs to do is support the underside of the forearm and the recoil pad. I think a sliding forearm rest would be close enough, but the butt needs to be supported by a mass and a dampener. This will be a challenge, but could be figured out.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

I don't take a lead sled into my stand, soI don't sight in with one. It's just that simple.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 AM

i use a lead sled and a trigger plunger. you can get one at midway around 20.00 worth ever penny. takes out the room for error.

Quick Reply: What do you guys use to sight your guns in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.