HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Tikka T3 Lite vs. Browning X-Bolt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/283831-tikka-t3-lite-vs-browning-x-bolt.html)

fishnbucks 01-22-2009 06:38 PM

Tikka T3 Lite vs. Browning X-Bolt

Hey, just wondering who has shot either of these rifles and what people think of them. I own a tikka .223 already andI am pretty happy with it, but was looking at guns today and really liked the look and feel of the Browning X-bolt. Would really like to hear what people think about the x-bolt. I have read on other forums that some people have stayed away from them because they say... "made in japan." I like Tikka's but they seem to be made a little cheap, quite a few plastic parts; plus, as I've experienced from owning my tikka .223, beretta/tikka customer service is worthless. For the price it's hard to beat the Tikka; it shoots extremelywell, smooth bolt, and looks decent. Have read pretty good reports about the x-bolt butwhat does everyone think?

bugsNbows 01-23-2009 06:28 AM

RE: Tikka T3 Lite vs. Browning X-Bolt

I've had two Tikkas. I have an X Bolt on order for my wife. That's my $.02.

stalkingbear 01-23-2009 07:30 AM

Get an Micro hunter or Micro Medallion and yall will be happy from now on. The Browning is LOADS ahead IMO, offering the best features, while being of great design and very slick.

98Redline 01-23-2009 07:44 AM

My buddy just went through the same thing.

Tikka T3 or X-Bolt.......he now owns an X-Bolt.

fishnbucks 01-23-2009 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info... I like both guns, but am leaning a little more towards the x-bolt. It just seems like it is made a little better and it seems like people I've talked to say they are both very accurate rifles. Just think the Browning would hold up a little better over the years. Also, what caliber does everyone think? I hunt mostly whitetail deer, sometimes antelope. I am thinking either a .270 W or .270 WSM. The WSM is supposed to be faster and shoot a little flatter, but I'm not sure if it's worht the extra price in ammo. Plus, I've read on some articles how some calibers have come and gone, doesanyone think the hype about short magnums will fade out and they will be tough to get ammo for?

bugsNbows 01-24-2009 07:13 AM

The .270 would serve you well. Good choice.

98Redline 01-24-2009 09:36 AM

If you are going to shoot animals up to the size of a Caribou then the .270 Win is just about a perfect round. Fairly light recoiling, accurate and you can find ammo just about anywhere that sells ammo.

If you are considering elk then the .270WSM would be a slightly better choice.

That being said, you would be capable of taking an elk or moose with a .270Win, but would have to be a bit more selective about your shots and use heavier (140gr or 150gr bullets)

I own a .270 Win A-Bolt and my buddy a .270 WSM X-Bolt. I would be confident with either rifle for anything up to and including elk and moose.

As for the particular calibers, the .270 WSM is nice as it will shoot out of a short action gun as opposed to the .270 Win which requires a long action although in all practicality, an X-Bolt in .270WSM and Win only differ in weight by 1 ounce (not enough to worry about).

Ballistics for the WSM are a bit better than the Win.

Tough choice.
I think if I were buying a new gun right now AND reloaded, then the WSM would get the nod
IF I did not reload, then I would probably go with the Win.

Bernie P. 01-25-2009 06:41 AM

Browning has it all over the Tikka.

hometheaterman 01-25-2009 09:06 AM

If I was going to get a .270 it would be a .270 Winchester. I have a buddy with a .270wsm and he will tell you it's not the easiest thing to even find ammo for. If it's hard to find ammo for it right now while they are popular how is it going to be in 5 years? You can go to any Wal-Mart that sells ammo or even most other places that sell ammo and most all of them sell .270 Winchester ammo but not many have .270wsm instock.

kendradad 01-25-2009 09:11 AM

No comparison, Browning. I would also stay with the .270 Win, it will definitely do the job you are looking for your new rifle to do.