Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1911 accessories >

1911 accessories

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1911 accessories

Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1911 accessories

What's up guy's,Got a quick question .I was looking at my Kimber custom II yesterday and was wondering doing a little spiffing up on it.Kinda thinking about putting contrasting parts like different color pins,slide release ,safety, mag release.You get the picture .Now the gun is sorta matte finish.I can get stainless parts ,But I kinda want gold finish (anodized or what ever as long as it is gold and shiney in color)I looked at every web site I could find but could not find any gold colored parts .Anybody got any suggestions? Will I probally have to get my parts plated?I surley hope not found a place that will plate them but for $40.00 a part. Little bit to pricey.BTW did find a set of fake ivory grips with a set of jump wings on one side and a 82nd airborne emblem on the other that I think is really cool. Kinda like the fake pearls also.Thanks in advance ...............Swamp
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1911 accessories

If you want to have some parts plated go to a jeweler. Find one that does his own work. That will be about as reasonable as you will get. Rmember gold is pretty expensive. And if you are going to do it to a Kimber, then by all means do it the right way.

Your ideas would look great on a Kimber. You have the Cadillac, now drive it. Tom.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Tom .I know the gold plating is expensive and it also does not hold up very well for the cost.Probally will have to be a gold anodized (sp) type of deal.Thing has fixed rear sites on it am going with some adjustable bomars or millets also.I have a Beretta 92 FS two tone it has a stainless slide and blue frame.The stainless slide has blue screws and pins and the blue frame has stainless pins and screws looks really nice.Ain't ever been a big Beretta fan thoughlittle to fat for my hands with the pacmyrs.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can not beat those Kimber's. I have owned a bunch of Colts over the years. Even some of their most expensive target models. And none of them would shoot with the 2 Kimbers I bought. I can shoot bricks on the ground at 75 yards off handed with the 2 I have. I never hada Colt that would hit bricks consistently at 50 yards.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gold trim and pearl grips huh.... You gonna have a gunsmith cut you some dovetails in the side of the slide so you can shoot ghetto style too?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dayum Big ,you kinda rough on the old fat boy ain't you.I know that's how they came out of the box.Went shooting Sunday with some of my buds ,one ask if I had ever tried shooting that way WHICH I replied "NO".Long story shortwe gave it a try just for S$*TS and giggles.Conclusion don't even waste your ammo...........LOL couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a base fiddle that way.Anyway I saw a Tarus (I think it was a Tarus )at my dealers shop the other day that was blue and had all of the gold accents looked pretty nice.Also saw a colt looked about officers model size or maybe commander size.It was in a wooden presentation box and had some of the deepest richest bluing I have seen on a new gun in a long time.They just don't blue them like that anymore.That thing was really nice.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can totally agree with the Bo-Mar good visibility adjustable sites, and while it might look cool, I like to put any extra money I have into ammo or upgrades. In fact, I like to drag an "ol sleeper" out and wipe up with it as they're laughing at my "ol homemade" gun. If you could have it done cheaply enough, great, but with that cost, and cost of ammo/loading components, my money is going for go more than show.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Go instead of Show".Know what you mean.Was going to upgrade some things anyway .Extended slide stop,Ambi Safety,Oversize mag release, maybe ambi mag release.Just thought while I was changing I might be able to find those parts in a gold color.Looks like I may have to go with Hard Chrome or Stainless to get enhancements I want.I looked at a Kimber target at the shop it had Kimber adjustables on it ( so did the rimfire conversion)They have the normal dove tail cut in the slidebut the last 1/2" to 3/4 is cut out for the bottom of the sights.My custom II does not have that cut out .Will this need to be cut or if i can use sights in the existing dovetail on mine will it affect the sight radius that much?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get sites that will fit existing dovetail. The rear site with milled down rear of slide is for certain style sites such as low profile adjustable rear site.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doll those babies up. There is nothing wrong with a dolled up 1911. Class up that classic pistol. I never heard anyone make fun of the two handguns that General Patton carried. And they were about as polished up as you could get. But then Patton would have put a boot up your a** if you made fun of his guns.

There is nothing prettier than a polished up Colt single action with real ivory grips. Now that is the cats a**. Tom.

Quick Reply: 1911 accessories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.