Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Retire or use Dad's sxs? >

Retire or use Dad's sxs?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Retire or use Dad's sxs?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default Retire or use Dad's sxs?

I havemy dad's Old side by side ( Fox model B 12ga.). The last time he used it was on his last duck hunt in the early 80's. I have used it a couple of times at the range on clay targets. I've only fed it low base stuff for fear of damaging it. The question is does anyone know anything about these shotguns? Is it safe to feed it todays rounds, or, should I just build a nice oak case and let it live it's remaining days in my office with some photos and memories?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Retire or use Dad's sxs?

I have a few of those Fox Model Bs laying around, one in 12 and the other in 20. Mine are both 3" versions and get fed all of todays ammo with no problems. I would avoid shooting steel shot out of if if it has tighter than a mod choke in either barrel.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your fathers shotgun?? No question!! You take that bad boy hunting. I take my dads Remington 1100 hunting. And I do not even like semi-auto shotguns. But it was my dads!!!!...................Tom.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Spike

Ammo hasn't jumped from the stone age from nukes in the past few decades. People still hunt with firearms made 100 years ago, and pretty commonly with firearms that are 50 years old. Rounds are heavily standardized, and shotguns especially run very heavy barrels with a slow burn powder. If it's a Damascus barrel, sure retire it. Otherwise treat it carefully, but don't worry about it being dangerous.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ahh yes - there is nothing like the feel of a nice SxS in the pheasant fields or grouse woods. I like those Fox. They fit me better than a lot of the higher priced ones.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Fork Horn

The Fox Model B was not a particularly high quality shotgun, but they were made with very good steel in the barrels. They are safe with any lead shot shell of the length stamped on the barrel. It was made by Savage Arms, and is pretty much a gussied up Stevens 311.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input. I think I'll take it out and try and scare up some quail.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're thinking about the latter made Fox double barrels. The earlier 1s were better before Savage did their thing. They're fine to shoot LEAD shot out of. Your dad would scold you for not taking it hunting and thus carrying on the tradition.

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

The Fox Model B was not a particularly high quality shotgun, but they were made with very good steel in the barrels. They are safe with any lead shot shell of the length stamped on the barrel. It was made by Savage Arms, and is pretty much a gussied up Stevens 311.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 AM
DM

One of the greater things in life is takeing dad's or grandpa's old gun out and hunting with it!

My dad bought this Remington model 1900, in the 40's,

It was made in 1905 and i still take in afield. I along with my brothers grew up carrying this double, and it gives me great pleasure to hunt with it, remembering all the ducks, pheasants and deer dad harvested with this gun to keep us fed!

DM
Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You're thinking about the latter made Fox double barrels. The earlier 1s were better before Savage did their thing. They're fine to shoot LEAD shot out of. Your dad would scold you for not taking it hunting and thus carrying on the tradition.

The A.H. Fox was indeed a fine shotgun, on par with the LC Smith, Parker, etc. The Fox Model B was introduced after Savage bought and later gave up on A.H. Fox,keeping only the Fox name.

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Quick Reply: Retire or use Dad's sxs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.