Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 (PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15) >

(PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

(PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15)

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default (PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15)

I added a scope to my newDPMS today...

I need your opinion...everything feels great...eye relief... and I do not have to reach to get my head into the scope...

Here is where I need your opinion.

Look at the pic...I have 1 mm clearance on the Big Bell end of the scope on the fore-end...With the recoil of a .223 this should be ok right? I say yes...Let me know what you think...The gun has see through rings on it..and its still pretty darn close to touching the forend of the gun

Brian

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: (PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15)

yea that should be plenty. Looks nice!
-Jake
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have about the same on my 22-250...i will probably change it....i dont wanna ruin a Leupold......wait...i think it has a lifetime warranty? lol....

i like my scopes as low as possible....but mine is nearly touching...i dont know if i could get a sheet of paper under it....

how does the scope work with the front sight post in the way?? just curious.....i know on my mauser the rear sight ears are kindddda visible on low power if i look for them....but they are hardly in the path of the lense....

dang southpaw! i couldnt figure out why your pic of you holding it looked a bit awkward lol.....brass doesnt bother you?? just curious...i know most buy left handed guns because they complain about brass flying.....careful it dont fly down your shirt!

good lookin rifle....cant say ive seen any m4s with a big ole high power scope on it....most leave em open sighted or a red dot or something....
Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm. IMHO - that scope doesn't belong on that rifle. Might look interesting, but from a practical application, not the best use of either.

That scope would be great on one of the "Varmint/Target" uppers, since those typically don't come with a front sight, sometimes not even a rail where the front sight used to be.

The M4 is really more of a close-quarters weapon. Holographic sights work particularly well in those applications. Having had occasion to use both in mud huts awhile back, the obvious advantage was that you could continue scanning while keeping reference of that red dot and ring, which when you found a target, the ring and dot almost naturally gravitated to it immediately.

Another option you might consider is a rear sight assembly such as the one standard on the Rock River Entry Tactical, which is also available separately. It's identical to your original rear sight except that where yours has the "carrying handle" (a term I hate), it's stepped down and forms a Picatinny Rail. It'll elevate your line of sight a little, take some of that front sight out of the way, and it's easily detached so that you can put your iron sights back on quickly if you need to.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think it looks just fine. But then again, that's how mine looks .... If you are worried about clearance, Pro Mag makes a 3/4" riser that attaches to the Pic rail and you then mount your mounts to it. You can check it out on their website, or from www.buymilsurp.com.....
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can switch to free float forend tube and gain quite a bit of room so that you could then lower the scope closer to bore and still have clearance. Bet it's hard to get cheekweld like that. Also me personally, I'd go to gas block and do away with the front sight.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM

That's a good self defense weapon there but you are only hindering yourself with that scope on there.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

My only concern would be when you get that thing cranking out rounds. If it doesn't damage the scope with heat, the guard may heat up sufficiently to expand and push on the scope objective?

The other issue would be shooting in a boil when that barrel gets hot.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet rig man. You should be fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

hahaha....Mauser..the shell deflector helps...no hot rounds down the shirt on the south paw yet!

My buddy said no worries on the close scope....I'll be watching it....amazing but I cant see the front sight on all powers...thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: (PICS) Check out my new rig (DPMS-AR15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.