Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Can you have a new barrel put on a Browning BAR? >

Can you have a new barrel put on a Browning BAR?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can you have a new barrel put on a Browning BAR?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you have a new barrel put on a Browning BAR?

MY barrel is no where near worn out as far as I know and hope it never is but I just got to wondering. If ever wear the rifling out of the barrel can they have have a new barrel put on? It doesn't appear to be 2 pieces but maybe it is. What would it cost to have a new one put on?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you have a new barrel put on a Browning BAR?

I know there are a couple of gunsmiths who frequent these boards who can give you an expert answer.

However, there are a few things you can do (and avoid) that will prolong the life of your current barrel:

1) Heat is your enemy. Anything you do to create more heat than the barrel can effectively absorb or dissipate invites damage, and not just to your barrel.Heat comes at its worst when your sustained rate of fire is too high (i.e. "blasting away" at targets).Mitigation is pretty obvious. While you do have the ability to sling lead quickly if you need to, most occasions won't require it. One, maybe two rounds while hunting. If you're at the rifle range practicing, keep your sustained rate of fire down to what you might with a bolt gun and give your rifle a break between magazine swaps.

2) Maintenance. This one ought to go without saying, and the bore isn't your only concern.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most any decent HP rifle can have a new barrel installed. Can't see why the BAR would be an exception, but have no idea of the cost these days.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 27+ years of professional gunsmithing, I've only replaced 5 barrels that were ACTUALLY worn out. By this I mean the throat was completely burnt out ahead of the chamber. The rifling was still in decent shape on 4 of them. As the previous poster stated, heat and improper/lack of cleaning almost always is what destroys barrels. To answer your original question, it's no problem to replace Browning BAR rifles.