Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Want a High Powered Rifle >

Want a High Powered Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Want a High Powered Rifle

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Default RE: Want a High Powered Rifle

I'm not sure about a 1" group as far out as you are talking about, but this wouldn't be a bad place to start.

http://www.robarguns.com/sr90.htm

Bring your checkbook...
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Well its pretty clear I dont know much about high powered rifles, What is the average group at 450 prone. Like I said this would be mainly for target shooting. Im on our schools rifle team and can clean a target prone, 100.10, set the school record. Just want somthing with a little more kick then a .22. And im shooting like a 4500.00 .22 so I was planning on spending that or more. Is there a way to buy a custom rifle somwhere?
First, what are these $4500 .22's that a school has enough for a team?

Second, try doing some actual researching, you know homework, on the subjects. (Google is your friend) You'll get more from the reasearch (tangents ar good sometimes) and perhaps better undertand what it is you're looking at for equipment and prices. Lots of sites specifcially geared toward long range shooting. Maybe even ask the shooting coach.
Baby steps...shooting 100 is all well and good, 150, 200 fine but you don't jump from 100 to 450 overnight and expect to shoot 1" groups.
On specific disciplines, it's better to find the sites & forums dealing with that specific area not a general "hunting" based forum. Be kinda like finding a broad based, blanket forum on cars and asking about technical aspects on a Bugati.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

You can get the best of the best built by top notch gunsmiths here in PA and put a Nightforce scope on it for around $5,000. If you want all out custom to shoot little tiny groups at 500 yards Call Eric Springman or Mark King. Bat Action, 8 twist Krieger barrel, McMillen Stock, Jewell trigger chamber it in a 6BR and shoot 108 Bergers. Not a High Power but if your punching paper so what. If you want a high power to kill big stuff go with the same set up with a big 30 cal. in a 10 twist. 300WBY, Win Mag, 300 WBY Improved, 300 WSM pick a heavy bullet with a high BC and start shooting. 190 and 210 grain Bergers work good and in the 300 improved the 240 SMK's are hard to beat
Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Well its pretty clear I dont know much about high powered rifles, What is the average group at 450 prone. Like I said this would be mainly for target shooting. Im on our schools rifle team and can clean a target prone, 100.10, set the school record. Just want somthing with a little more kick then a .22. And im shooting like a 4500.00 .22 so I was planning on spending that or more. Is there a way to buy a custom rifle somwhere?
First, what are these $4500 .22's that a school has enough for a team?

Second, try doing some actual researching, you know homework, on the subjects. (Google is your friend) You'll get more from the reasearch (tangents ar good sometimes) and perhaps better undertand what it is you're looking at for equipment and prices. Lots of sites specifcially geared toward long range shooting. Maybe even ask the shooting coach.
Baby steps...shooting 100 is all well and good, 150, 200 fine but you don't jump from 100 to 450 overnight and expect to shoot 1" groups.
On specific disciplines, it's better to find the sites & forums dealing with that specific area not a general "hunting" based forum. Be kinda like finding a broad based, blanket forum on cars and asking about technical aspects on a Bugati.

That rifle is my own, had to get a ton of paperwork done to bring that thing to the range in school. The other team doesnt shoot that great but they are about 2,000 or so each and are about 20 years old. They all shoot fine for being that many years old and god knows how many shots through them. Our school did just buy the team a nice air rifle too, just like mine except it doesnt have a dry fire mechanism.