Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to this

Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Default New to this

Hello,
I have decided to get into hunting. I am curious about what is the best .22 to do small game hunting. Any suggestions for a new hunter would be great. Thanks.

Ryan
Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Default RE: New to this

I'd just go to a couple of gun stores and handle a few to see which you are most comfortable with. Probably the biggest choice you'd need to make is whether you wanted a bolt action, semi-auto, lever, or single shot.

I'd just pick a few up & see what you like the best. I have a Marlin bolt action that I really like, but that's just me.

Also, don't be afraid to get a used .22. You can usually find excellent used .22s.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah. Find one that feels good. It is kind of hard to go wrong. You can spend as much as you want, but Marlins, Savages and Rugers will get you in the field and get you going. Enjoy.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have been to a few places and really like the Ruger 10/22, which seems to be what many like. I am going to try a few places to see if I can find one used. Thanks for helping!
Ryan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

If you are new to firearms, I would suggest starting with a bolt action and stay away from the tubular magazines that load from the muzzle end. If you are experienced with firearms, a Ruger 10/22 is a great semi-auto. I don't like single shots in case you need to shoot aquick second shot. Practice this a lot using a bolt action.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see that you are interested in hunting and shooting. It's a great way to spend some time. Lots of helpful advice here. What I would suggest is that you first check your local game regulations to see what is permitted for small game hunting with a .22. Some states, PA for one, do not permit the use of a semi-automatic rifle for any type of hunting. Best check it out before you buy. Just want to give you a little "heads up".....
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's going to be nigh impossible to find a .22 rifle more fun to shoot than Ruger 10/22. The nice thing about them is not only are they the most reliable .22LR semi-auto, you can also totally redo it into whatever configuration you wish once you gain some experience. They really make good tackdrivers when configured and fitted right, and you can perform all the work yourself. Be SURE to get 1 with the metal (aluminum) triggerguard,as the latest 1s have plastic trigger housings.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first was also the Ruger 10/22.If you'd prefer a bolt look at the CZ452.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM

If it is 22's that you are looking for then great. there are alot of manufacturers that make them and they shoot well. I would recommend something from Henry. If it is a rimfire that you are after and have only considered a 22 thus far i would look at the 17HMR. They are rimfire cartridges just like a 22 but IMO they are far more versitile. They are faster and shoot flatter. Savage makes some nice 17's and 22's that are good shooters out of the box and affordable. Plus who doesnt love the accutrigger?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he's just getting into hunting, don't you think the MUCH LOWER ammo cost of the .22LR would be better for somebody just starting out? I personally think the accu-trigger is an goofy rifle version of the equally goofy Glock safe-t-trigger. It's much better to have a trigger without all the gadgets with equal pull weight/quality. Besides, he can drop in a kit to get a really good pull from 10/22. I don't know what he wants, but if I was just starting out, the .22LR would be my choice,in fact, it still is anyway.

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

If it is 22's that you are looking for then great. there are alot of manufacturers that make them and they shoot well. I would recommend something from Henry. If it is a rimfire that you are after and have only considered a 22 thus far i would look at the 17HMR. They are rimfire cartridges just like a 22 but IMO they are far more versitile. They are faster and shoot flatter. Savage makes some nice 17's and 22's that are good shooters out of the box and affordable. Plus who doesnt love the accutrigger?