Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Holster for Glock >

Holster for Glock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Holster for Glock

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Holster for Glock

Whats a good holster for glock pistol. model 20 or 21 size. looking for something to carry while bowhunting. thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holster for Glock

ORIGINAL: bluffhunter

Whats a good holster for glock pistol. model 20 or 21 size. looking for something to carry while bowhunting. thanks.
Well, you have many choices to choose from for a Glock. Do you want leather or synthetic? How much do you want to spend? For synthetic type holsters, I like the kydex holsters from Blackhawk($45), CompTac($55+), and Blade Tech($55+). These 3 holsters(especially the latter two) are excellent holsters that are very tough and hold your weapon secure. If you don't want to spend that much, a simple Fobus or Uncle Mike's holster can be had for around $20. The problem with these holsters is they are more of a "toy" type plastic(for lack of a better description).

For leather holsters I like Galco, Bianchi, and Don Hume. The last Bianchi holster Ipriced for a Glock was around $70 bucks but it was considered a concealement holster. You can find these holsters at many gun stores. Then you have the high quality holsters from makers such as Milt Sparks, Alessi,and Mitch Rosen. These are excellent holsters but they demand a premium price and usually there is a significant waiting time.

One more thing you must not forget is a good quality belt. A flimsy belt will make even the smaller pistols feel uncomfortable. Aheavy pistol like the Glock 20 and 21 needs a good quality belt. For a hunting,the Wilderness tactical belts are excellent and many, including myself, use these belts for concealed carry as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends the purpose for which you carry and what risks you are facing. If you care about protection more than access, you'll need something with a flap to cover the pistol. I have no specific experience there.

I carried my G23 for grizzly defense this fall. I got a Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement paddle holster that securely gripped the waist belt on my pack; it held the gun very securely yet I had instant access to it if I needed it. The downside was the grip and back quarter of the slide was constantly exposed to the elements (or terrain, if I took the pack off and set it down). Given the prevalence of grizzlies where I was hunting I cared a LOT more about access than a few scuffs.

I use a BladeTeck IWB for concealed carry, if you want the gun protected fully but slower access this will work well. Make sure you can carry concealed before you decide on this.

If you want to go leather, I've had excellent luck with Bianchi.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the responses, looked at websites of the blade tech and comp trac ones. Question for you guys is whats the difference between the paddle holster and the belt holster? also the Blade tech stingray belt holster looks good but my question is these holsters without the thumbstrap, are they secure enough to hold gun while hunting without falling out is my concern; also noise of plastic and not leather when walking through brush in woods? Thanks for any comments. I do like the idea of attaching the holster to my pack instead of my waist for easier access. great idea.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Favorite. Bought one for my father-in-laws xd and was very impressed.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=925167
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Any more?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluffhunter

Thanks for the responses, looked at websites of the blade tech and comp trac ones. Question for you guys is whats the difference between the paddle holster and the belt holster? also the Blade tech stingray belt holster looks good but my question is these holsters without the thumbstrap, are they secure enough to hold gun while hunting without falling out is my concern; also noise of plastic and not leather when walking through brush in woods? Thanks for any comments. I do like the idea of attaching the holster to my pack instead of my waist for easier access. great idea.
A paddle holster has a "paddle" that is attached to the holster(sometimes permanately) that slips inside your pants so you can remove the gun and holster without undoing your belt. A belt holster has slots that you thread your belt through to secure theholster.Aquality belt holsterattached to a quality belt is very secure. CompTac hasa holster that has an interchangeable paddle or belt attachment. Most holsters(even ones with thumb straps) have a way to adjust how tight the firearm is held.

Personally for me I would not want my holster attached to a pack. I want it close to my body where I can get it fast if needed.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I personally like the Blackhawk Serpa. Light, sturdy and practical....