Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 bolt action .22 >

bolt action .22

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bolt action .22

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default bolt action .22

I want to buy a quality bolt action .22 to do some small game hunting but mostly to keep me shooting all year instead of just a week before hunting season. I use a 7 Mag to deer hunt and at 30 bucks per box (for the cheap ones!) it isn't economically practical/possible to shoot as much as I should. A .22 seems like it would be a nice solution and just plain fun. I would prefer a bolt action because my deer rifle is bolt action and a semi tends to make me sloppy. I held a pretty neat Savage the other night at a D*ck's Sporting Goods. Was only like $189 which I liked but the clip rattled around like crazy which would end up driving me up the wall. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a reasonably priced bolt .22 rifle...I will likely put a scope on it as well if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bolt action .22

I have a Marlin bolt action that is really accurate. It is a older model tube fed but I like it. For just having fun playing around I want to buy a Marlin 39A though the stores around here have been sold out of them.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much money are you willing to spend...

I have a Remington 541-T with a 3x9x33 Leupold Compact that cost as much as a good deer rifle...
This gun is no longer made, but can be found used for about $450...Other names that come up also are Kimber, CZ and Anschultz...
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quality?? Or reasonably priced?? These are 2 different beasts.

What deer rifle do you have?? A good thing to do with a 22 is to try and match it as close(size, weight, length of trigger pull, stock design)to your deer rifle as possible. the better you match your 22 the better you will shoot your deer rifle. Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

get the savage if its a mark II, the clip won't rattle when loaded and they shoot fine.
Totally agree....mine shoots pretty good, and I don't hear any rattle.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Spike

I also have a Savage MKll and it's been a fun accurate gun for me. No ratlles and cheap to shoot. Resonably priced as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I understand there is a bit of a trade off between quality and reasonable price. I guess what I meant was that I want something that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, but something reasonably accurate. It wouldn't be much good to practice with it if it were all over the place. getting something similar to my deer rifle is why i wanted a bolt action. However I'm sure the similarities are going to stop there since I shoot my father's old Model 70 7 mag with a custom walnut stock that weights about a ton and a half haha.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

I will check out the Savage you guys have mentioned, thanks. I just finished looking at the Remington 09 catalog and saw they had a pretty sharp looking bolt action .22 that I might check out too.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Savage Mark II in 22LRwith a 3-9X32 Tasco Pronghornscope for gophers. I can take gophers cleanly well past 100 yards.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Typical Buck

If you are ok with only spending $100 take a look at the Romainian trainer. http://www.classicarms.us/

Scroll down a little to see the gun. They aren't much to look at but have a great reputaion and if you don't mind refinishing the stock can look pretty nice. For info on 22's go look around at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.phpThey have catagories for most brands of rimfire guns, lots of good information.

My favorite bolt action 22 is the Remington 580 and 581, same action as the Remington 540 but more in the economy range.

CZ makes one heck of a 22 also. You get a lot of gun for the money.

But do check out RimfireCentral, everything you ever wanted to know about rimfires.

Quick Reply: bolt action .22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.