HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   handgun help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/280946-handgun-help.html)

bluffhunter 01-02-2009 07:09 AM

handgun help!

I am looking at purchasing a handgun to carry while bowhunting for protection against black bears, wolves, and cats.( and yes it is legal in my state) whats the opionions on a 10mm auto or 44 mag revolver? any thoughts appreciated. ;) would the 10mm auto be lighter and easier to carry? or simplicity of 44mag revolver the best.

stalkingbear 01-02-2009 02:32 PM

RE: handgun help!

It's going to be pretty hard to beat a good revolver in magnum with minimum being .44 magnum loaded with hardcast 300 gr bullets. Even better would be .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, the Linebaughs, or the big S&W magnums.

Edcyclopedia 01-02-2009 07:22 PM

Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag 10" barrel and don't look back!

BigJ71 01-03-2009 12:34 AM

I prefer a small single action in a big caliber. I love the .45Colt for this purpose (back up gun) because you can load it up or down depending on what you might expect. Commercial rounds are also available if you don't reload (I don't) from the likes of Buffalo bore, Corbon and others. You can get them loaded to .44mag levels or powder puff plinking stuff and anything in between.

I picked up this little Ruger Vaquero Sheriff Model in .45Colt and it's just a sweet shootin six gun, you don't even know it's on your hip. It even packs away nicely in a ruck sack.

homers brother 01-03-2009 04:10 AM

With the 10mm losing ground to the .40 S&W, you'll probably have to plan onreloading it. Most of the ammo I've seen on the shelves has been"metal case" (FMJ), which is entirely undesirable for the purpose you describe. By reloading, you'd have a bit more selection in the bullet department. An auto is probablymore convenient to carry, since it's generally"flat", versus a "round" revolver.

But, everything else equal,the 10mm puts you somewhere inbetween the .357 and .41 Magnums. While I'd be pretty confident in its ability to put a cat down, maybe even a wolf, I'm not so sure I'd want to have to shoot a black bear with it (and CERTAINLY not anything bigger). My exposure to the 10mm has been pretty limited, but I recall it being on the unpleasant side to shoot, compared side-by-side tomy Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag.,weight and balance having a good deal of play amplifying the effect in the 10mm, and mitigating it in the .44.

I'drecommendthe .44 and 240 gr.softpoints (not HPs) or the good cast bullets up to300 gr.

ths78 01-03-2009 10:13 AM

Any reliable gun from 357 up would be sufficient. If you ever plan to use it for hunting, you may want a longer barrel. If it will solely be used for defense, then I'd get a short barrel.

given the same situation, i'd get a double action revolver in 357, 44, or 45

cooper_m22 01-03-2009 10:23 AM

Picking a handgun is like finding the right rifle it is all up to what feels right in your hands. And I will second what ths78 said any good handgun from 357 on up will work if you plan to ever hunt with it.

homers brother 01-03-2009 03:35 PM

any good handgun from 357 on up will work if you plan to ever hunt with it.

Before you actually HUNT with a handgun, check your local regulations or those of the state in which you wish to hunt. A .357 doesn't meet legal sufficiency in some states to hunt with. Self-defense is another matter.

country1 01-04-2009 01:33 AM

I would go with a 44 Mag in a double action revolver. If that is not enough powergo withthe 480 Ruger.

stalkingbear 01-04-2009 08:04 AM

The 10mm is a handful to shoot, but very controllable once you get used to it and practice proper form/grip. Another option would be a .41 magnum if you don't want the recoil of .44 mag. It shoots great, virtually same power level as .44 (unless the .44 is loaded with bullets heavier than 240), and plesant to shoot. The downside is ammo availability as it's nowhere near as popular as .44, but is making somewhat of an reappearance in popularity. Regardless, it would almost be hard to make a bad choice for what you want.