Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Am I gaining anything?? >

Am I gaining anything??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Am I gaining anything??

Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default Am I gaining anything??

I have owned the same Ruger M77 in 30.06 for 20 years. It has served me very well on hunting Whitetails here in Wisconsin. I am planning on doing some western hunting in the next few years for Mule Deer and Elk and am feeling the itch for a new gun. I am thinking of getting a 300 Winn Mag or 300 WSM. Am I gaining that much with these over my good ol .06?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Am I gaining anything??

What you will be gaining is a few hundred fps and another rifle. This extra speed will result in more recoil. Your '06 is fine for mulies and elk out to 300 yds and beyond. If you want to go bigger you might as well jump up to the .338 Win Mag.
I recall an old adage: "Beware of the man who only owns one rifle - he probably knows how to use it."
Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Spike

The 30-06 is more than enough gun to kill anything on this continent. I personaly own a 300 WM and really like the 180gr Nosler partition. You might save some weight going with a fastercartridge but dead is dead. You won't gain a whole lot of advantage inside of 250-300 yards with either of the faster rounds. The faster rounds shine at longer distances.

My $.02

ws
Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

keep that 06.i got a MKII lefty and go on killing sprees.....original trigger works dandy....o6 is the baddest on the plaNET
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not gaining a whole lot....a couple hundred fps, some more recoil, a bit flatter trajectory, and some more foot pounds of energy.
Personally I don't think I will ever own anything larger than the '06 just because I have not found anything it would not take down quickly and cleanly. I have taken everything from brown bear to groundhogs with it with no problems.
Having said that though......if you want it get it. I'm not sure you can have too manyfirearms.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two 06's. One ruger and one remington and love both of them. Also I have a 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag and love both of them. Any of them will do the job, better than a 06, hmmmmmm I doubt it. But heck if you want a new gun go buy one. Im not about to try and talk a person out of buying a new rifle.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

What you will be gaining is a few hundred fps and another rifle. This extra speed will result in more recoil. Your '06 is fine for mulies and elk out to 300 yds and beyond. If you want to go bigger you might as well jump up to the .338 Win Mag.
I recall an old adage: "Beware of the man who only owns one rifle - he probably knows how to use it."
+1
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: homers brother

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

+1
+2, especially since you have a Ruger that was made when they knew how to do it....
Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: rut n strut

I have owned the same Ruger M77 in 30.06 for 20 years. It has served me very well on hunting Whitetails here in Wisconsin. I am planning on doing some western hunting in the next few years for Mule Deer and Elk and am feeling the itch for a new gun. I am thinking of getting a 300 Winn Mag or 300 WSM. Am I gaining that much with these over my good ol .06?
I'd use 180 NP's in the 30-06 and go hunting! If your dieing to spend money, upgrade your scope if needed, and buy some really good bino's!

Practise, practise, practise, is a hundred times better than a new gun!!

DM
Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I will put it this way Dead is dead that Mule Deer or Elk don’t care what you shoot him with.
With that said the 300 WSM or the 300Win Mag will work great for the west I like the 300 WSM the most.
I live in Montana and do a lot of hunting here in Montana and Wyoming and Idaho And I can say this from experience the 30-06 will do the job, but the 300 WSM or the 300Win Mag will do the job a little better when it comes to some of the long range shots you will have to take here in the west in order to get your prize.
But first and for most if you have the itch for a new rifle go get one, and have fun.

Quick Reply: Am I gaining anything??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.