Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Passing down a firearm? >

Passing down a firearm?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Passing down a firearm?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default Passing down a firearm?

My father is probably going to give up deer hunting within a few years. He just can't physically make it anymore. Last weekend, my brother-in-law, my father and I were bull-#@$%%% about deer hunting. Eventually the conversation turned to our sons and hunting with them. I have one son, the oldest grandson (8), while my brother-in-law has two boys (6 & 4). We were talking about rifles and what-not. Then the conversation turned to who would get what when dad can't go.

My dad has a few rifles that I always thought would be mine and would in turn be handeddown to my son. I am his only son.

I guess he has other plans.

I will still get the Winchester 94 30-30 (doesn't have a serial number on it, was told it could have been made b\t 1941-1944), but my brother-in-law will get the 30-06, marlin 10/22 w\heavy barrel and a gammo air-rifle.

I was shocked!!!

The 30-30 has been mine since I started hunting in the early 80's. He has been holding it for me because I don't have the room in my gun safe for anotherrifle.But I alwaysthought, as the only son, that the other rifles would be mine too.Basically, hetold us that neither I nor his first grandson will have a firearm keepsake from dad\grandpa.

So there the three of us sit and I could feel my blood boiling. I couldn't make a scene, didn't say a word, but I got up and left. I felt like something had just been yanked from me.

I don't wish to sound greedy, I'm not looking forward to the day that my father no longer hunts with us and I know that my father can do whatever he wants with his stuff, but holy crap. I always assumed that most of his stuff, especially his hunting stuff, would be mine someday.

Am I wrong to be a little put off?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Passing down a firearm?

I don't know how your relationship is with your father, but if it happened to me I'd be pissed big time. And maybe he should have conferred with you first about his plans, maybe asking you if a gun should be given to the son-in-law.

My one and only son will get all my firearms, to be passed along when and if he has a son. I already passed my favorite deer rifle to him. That was a little hard to do since I still hunt.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: uwpce

The 30-30 has been mine since I started hunting in the early 80's. He has been holding it for me because I don't have the room in my gun safe for anotherrifle.
Perhaps he thinks that you've got plenty of guns, since your safe is already stuffed, that you and your son are already adequately armed for your needs, and that your sister's kids would have more use for them.

I'd let it go, and hand that .30-30 down to your son, and cherish your time in the woods with him rather than letting something like this eat at you...
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

nothin you can do, but im sure dad has a reason for his decisions.......

im in a sorta similar position....my grandfather left behind a couple long guns...dad borrowed a few of them here and there and took care of all of them till i could. once i could clean and keep them oiled, i did atleast a couple times a year when i would sleep over at grandmas. were talking like 6-7 years old! (grew up around guns and could do it...) killed my first deer with the winchester 88...and borrowed the m50 12ga regularly...took care of all of the guns still....but, im about 99% sure i'll never see ownership of them. heck, i wouldnt be too surprised if someone sold them. my family was living with grandma for a while and we moved out because her youngest(30yo) son moved back in....long story short we left and them 2 eventually moved too...havent checked on the guns since then....but the 30yo son(to a different dad) and the oldest son are money hungry....neither of them hunt...the 30yo does own a 9422 that his dad did buy him...but the rest are from my grandfather, not his dad. theres also a sister...her husband and son kinda sorta maybe hunt a couple hours a year but neither have ever touched the guns or cared for them...and neither of my uncles have...(the 30yo uncle hunted a few times when my dad took him...dad taught him to hunt and shoot and he didnt take intrest so he only used the guns a short while..)

ive always been the one to help grandma..yard work, house sitting, emergencys, whatever...i was always there. when i got my licesnes to drive, the first place i drove was to grandmas. when i was bored, i went to grandmas and slept over....heck i had my own room at her house i was there so much....and im the only one in the family that wont pawn off the guns...heck, theres only 2 i REALLY want...the m88 and the m50...i tried for years and she wouldnt budge for birthdays or christmas...i just highly doubt i'll ever see them...actually planning on buying my own m50 and m88
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel for ya, but I also can understand both sides....

one they're your dads guns, and he's free to not give you any...
Also dad's are always doing crazy things aren't they?

Your brother in law may be new to the family, but in a sense he's giving you a gun and your sister/ie his daughter...so with that logic it only seems fair.

I'm not sure what my father will be thinking down the road....I'm the only son, both sisters don't hunt etc..., I assume they'll be mine, but ya know, even if he gave them all away, so be it. I can buy my own rifles if I wanted to. Sure ther emay be some sentimental feeligns, but it is just a material possession that can be replaced of sorts...

I agree though, if i were you I kinda would assume it would all be mine one day. And who knows maybe the bro in law won't want it? or feel that it should be yours and offer you it? don't get your hopes upthough especially if he hunts...., though i would tel him if he ever plans to get rid of that rifle...that he must offer it to you 1st...make that clear so he knows...you would want it.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Spike

Man, thats a tough one, I would sit down with my Dad and have a heart to heart and tell him how you feel. Try to explain things and see where he's coming from. Good luck, buddy!

DD
Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
DM

I always assumed that most of his stuff, especially his hunting stuff, would be mine someday.
Yes that sounds greedy to me...

If it was me, i'd go to my dad and tell him, i'd VERY much like my son to have a couple ofyour guns for keepsakes... Then i'd offer to BUY them at a fair market price... They are HIS guns, and so it's up to HIM what he decides to do with them...

End of problem!

DM
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

It comes to this far to often... people being upset buy what there parents decide to do with there stuff.... Try to respect your fathers wishes...Its his guns... and you are not hisonly child... and your son is not hisonly grandson... it seems to me... that he is giving 1 gun to each grandson... you stated you have 1 son.. your bro-in-law has 2.....and there are3 guns you mentioned... do the math... look beyond yourself here... its not about you and your brother inlaw... itsabout the grand children .. so since you asked....YES you ARE wrong ...
Old 12-30-2008, 02:55 PM

When I crap out. They can all fight over it. I've made no promises to my three boys.
Regarding anything I own. Guns. Guitars. Whatever.
I've never understood why people feel they are so deserving of some ones stuff.
And why some one would sit down and say you get this or somebody gets that.
As far as I'm concerned it's mine until I push up the daisies.

T

Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Why should your nephews not get something from their grandfather? Are these rifle actually being given to your brother-in-law or are they being passed down to your nephews through him because he's the one going hunting and not your sister?

From the info you provide, I don't see where you are entitled to all the rifles just because you are the only son. I've got a son and two daughters and I will distribute my rifles/shotguns to my daughters and/or their children if they take up hunting or shooting. About the only way my son will get all my "hardware" is if my daughters decide to give them to him for whatever reason.

I understand the attachment you have to your father's stuff, but don't let that stuff come between you and your family members.

Quick Reply: Passing down a firearm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.