HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   1943 303 British (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/280050-1943-303-british.html)

schooter 12-26-2008 03:01 AM

1943 303 British

i recieved my grandpa's 1943 303 British Infield. He brought it in 1954 and has shot many deer with it. i will Never sell this rifle. but i was just wondering what it is worth. i will be adding pic later. thanks schooter

Pioneer2 12-26-2008 03:22 AM

RE: 1943 303 British

Hopefully it hasn't been BUBBA'D .If you're lucky it will be a Long Branch[Canadian made piece] with 5 groove rifling .Second choice Savage...........................need to see pics..............Harold

schooter 12-26-2008 03:44 AM

it is a long branch. what does BUBBa'D mean. it in decent condition. but in need some tlc. it has been sitting in my grandpa's closet for about 12 years. i dont know the last time it was fired. i plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned and check over before i shoot it.

Pawildman 12-26-2008 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: schooter

it is a long branch. what does BUBBa'D mean. it in decent condition. but in need some tlc. it has been sitting in my grandpa's closet for about 12 years. i dont know the last time it was fired. i plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned and check over before i shoot it.
I think what Pioneer2 meant by "BUBBA'D" is referring to a gun (usually a military piece) that some self-proclaimed gunsmith hack has decided to "sporterize" by removing wood, altering sights, bolts, metalwork, etc. It is most always detrimental to the original value of the piece if it was in ORIGINAL condition to start with. (Bubba being a "fictional" character who ruins everything he touches.)............

Pygmy 12-26-2008 04:44 PM

If your Grandpa's rifle is unaltered and in decent shape, it's probably worth from $200-300...

If it's been "sporterized" , it's worth somewhat less than that...

Trapper22 12-26-2008 05:33 PM

I have one (long branch)and it's my primary deer rifle. It was sporterized when my dad bought it long ago. I had a gunsmith put a synthetic stock and top mount scope on it about 5 years ago. Itshoots very well and has very mild recoil. I also have no intention of selling mine either.

HEAD0001 12-26-2008 07:54 PM

If it was your Pap's rifle then it is PRICELESS. I wish I had one of my Pap's rifles!!!! Tom.

dylan_b 12-27-2008 12:10 AM

i use and stand by all my lee enfields. they best of the lee enfields is the dean knolton(not the jack knolton), they use bsa actions, lilja barrels and knolton bolts, stocks and sights. yes they look like a bubbad rifle but they are worth up to $2000 in .303 canuck magnum. the second best for accuracy would be a bsa(most likely bsa if its brit), third parker hale, fourth would be the australian AIA which are still in production and are outshooting most american made rifles

Pioneer2 12-27-2008 05:36 AM

It's most likely a MKIV and if it has had it's forestock shortened and other hardware removed "sporterized" complete sets can be had on E-Bay or from Numerich Arms.The bolt /saftey requires no altering to scope with the S+K mt no drilling or tapping either preserving any collector value and they can go as high as $500 Canadian with matching serial #'s on magazine etc..............the butt stocks came in Short,Med + Long as well.The rear peep came in several variations some with a finely adjustable vernier and other with wartime utilitarian 300 + 600 yard peep also upgradable without hurting firearm.Same or a little better than the US 30-40 Krag and still owned by just about every Canuck.Consider getting into cast bullets and get neck sizing dies as they tend to be hard on brass due to generous sized chambers to ensure feeding of assorted ammo during the war......................enjoy...................H arold