Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mosquito-vs-Buckmark >

Mosquito-vs-Buckmark

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mosquito-vs-Buckmark

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mosquito-vs-Buckmark

I am looking for a .22 pistol and have narrowed it down to between a sig mosquito sport, and a browning buckmark camper in stainless. I have heard a lot of great things about the buckmark, and also sig's in general but don't personally know anybody with a skeeter. Is the 4.9" barrel in the mosquito sport long enough to get decent accuracy out to 25-30 yards. I will mostly be using it for plinking but would also like to blast some squirrels. Any info would be great. As of right now I'm leaning a little towards the browning.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 PM

Default RE: Mosquito-vs-Buckmark

Why not the Ruger mark 2's? That's one I've been looking at because of the aftermarket parts available

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Sig will be very finicky about what ammo it likes. It comes with a few extra springs that you will have to play with until you get it to perform 100% with the ammo of your choice. The Buckmark will eat anything you put in it out of the box. The Sig does have a nice tactical rail which is handy if your doing any nite time hunting (like hunting behind coon hounds).
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I love the browning buckmark. Great guns. I think my dad has like 10 of the them he loves them alot too. They shoot well and will shoot anything.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

dad had a sig mosquito and sold it back....couldnt get a full mag to fire without a malfunction...it was brand new and he tried a bunch of ammo...dont know if it needed broke in, if he got a bad one, or what...but he didnt like it and he LOVES sigs.

i have a buckmark standard. ive heard so-so reviews on the camper...i know the standard is a little more cash....

dad had a ruger mkII...it shot as well as my buckmark...both function great...but in the end, i can clean my buckmark 5X faster than dad can break down the ruger...he is usually real good with breaking down guns...just couldnt get the hang of the ruger.....

i love my buckmark though....fun gun to plink with...and accurate enough to small game hunt or anything like that...wish it was legal to hunt with in PA [:'(]
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know anything about the Sig, but I do have an old "slabside" Buckmark that I've had for years. Mt wife's father liked it so well, he bought one too. It will eat anything, and I can't really recall of having any malfunction problems with it. Very accurate, too. If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. It's one of my favorite "fun guns". My wife even likes shooting it.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My very 1st choise would be an Ruger competition target slabside. From solid rest and 2.5x-8x scope cranked up, mine will put 5 shots in group measuring less than 3/4" at 50 yards, and it has even shot groups in the 1/2" many times. My best year using the Ruger and my TC Contender, I got 117 squirrels. DON'T ask me how many I missed thou. If you're dead set against the Ruger, the Browning Buckmark would be the better choice between the 2 you mentioned.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is not one of your choices but if you can find one of these you won't be disapointed. S&W 422 Target Grade, walnut grips, and adjustable sights. One sweet shooting .22.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jesse...I was looking for a squirrel pistol a few years back. I looked at the Browning and Ruger. I didn't care for the process that you had to go through to clean either of those guns. They're fine weapons...but taking them apart and re-assembling isn't as easy as it should be.

I bought a S&W 22A-1. It's a semi-auto and it came with 2 barrels. One barrel is 5" and one is 8". I put a 4X scope on the longer barrel and it will absolutely shoot hole in hole at 50'. (Off bags)

I've put a ton of shots through it without a single jam and it takes me about 5 minutes to COMPLETELY clean the gun.

Best part of it...I bought is NEW for under $325 with the 2 barrels, the scope, and a hard case.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you learn how to strip Rugers or have a Ruger fan show you a couple lil tips,it wouldn't take you very long at all to strip them. It takes me about 20 seconds to strip my mk2. It does help to polish the bolt stop/takedown rod on Rugers to make it MUCH easier to remove/replace. Simply pop out takedown lever in mainspring housing, rotate outward, remove housing, tap rear of bolt with plastic mallet and upper reciever comes off, remove bolt. It takes about 1/5 the time (or less) to do it as it took me to type it.

Quick Reply: Mosquito-vs-Buckmark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.