HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Nikon Buckmaster or Leupold VX-I? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/279499-nikon-buckmaster-leupold-vx-i.html)

wobschall 12-21-2008 03:31 PM

Nikon Buckmaster or Leupold VX-I?

Shopping for a new scope to go onmy next rifle. Planning on a combo varmint/deer rig in .25-06. Looking at a 4x12 power; keeping under the $300 mark, what does everyone recommend? Right now considering the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 or the Leupold VX-I in 4x12. Thoughts on either of these oranother scope I should consider?
Thanks

stalkingbear 12-21-2008 03:56 PM

RE: Nikon Buckmaster or Leupold VX-I?

Go with the buckmaster. Leupolds are great, but stay away from anything under at least vx2.

VAhuntr 12-21-2008 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Go with the buckmaster. Leupolds are great, but stay away from anything under at least vx2.
x2

I have a VX-1 2-7x33 on a muzzleloader(picked it up for less than $95) and it does well for what I use it for. IMO though, you can get a lot more scope for your money with the Buckmaster.

bugsNbows 12-22-2008 02:17 AM

Yeah, the VXI Leupy's are crap.

SWThomas 12-22-2008 04:28 AM

Nikon.

vabyrd 12-22-2008 05:02 AM

Same goes here. VX1's are ok, but the Nikon will have brighter optics. I just wish they would take "Buckmaster" off the damn thing. Makes it look like junk, not a Bushman fan at all.I have a 2x7Monarch that I swear is brighter than my 3x9VX2.

VAhuntr 12-22-2008 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Same goes here. VX1's are ok, but the Nikon will have brighter optics. I just wish they would take "Buckmaster" off the damn thing. Makes it look like junk, not a Bushman fan at all.I have a 2x7Monarch that I swear is brighter than my 3x9VX2.
I know what you mean, but the Buckmaster is a pretty darn good scope. I have a 3-9x40 Monarch that is definately brighter and clearer than a 3-9x40 VX-2 and right on par with my friend's VX-3. I will say that the Leupold's are less picky when it comes to eye relief though.

SWThomas 12-22-2008 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

What's wrong with Buckmasters and Jackie Bushman?

Gangly 12-22-2008 12:01 PM

I have the Nikon 3x9x40 buckmasters the the BDC reticle and its GREAT. Great low-light vision and wonderful clarity.

James B 12-22-2008 02:18 PM

I have had both of them. My Buckmaster was awful picky about eye relief. I finally sold it. I never had any problem with the VX-I and maybe I just got a lemon in the Buckmaster. I would look at the 3200 Busnell as well,