Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?) >

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, I realize it was in reply. But what I am explaining is people that have owned well over a dozen of these products are starting to see hiccups. There will be failures in any product. Even the ones I design. There are acceptable failure rates, and then there is unacceptable. Some I have seen lately are unacceptable. I have 700's that were made within the last 8 years that shoot well. I also have traded off or had the gun rebuilt on several that was not. I have had some real good 1187's with thousands of shells put thru them. But I have ran into some recently that are unacceptable.

You can't take your one product and apply it as a rule to all guns.
Agreed. And nowhere in my post was I trying to do that.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same issue with the 870 Super Express Magnum that I bought back in 2001, It would eject high brass with no problem, shoot low brass and it would jam each and every round. Called remington and they told me that it how it is and would not do anything to resolve the issue, this was within the first year of owning it. After that I bought a Hastings barrel from Cabelas bargain cave and told Remington that they can take a flying leap and that they would never get my money again.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

It's not just necessarily a function issue. Look at the fit and finish, nothing like it was.
I frequent auctions some times. And I picked up some late 70's 700's BDL's for $250 a piece. My gosh, the difference between those and these new ones are unreal. These BDL's were almost new in the box. Action smooth as any custom I have seen. Both shoot MOA out of the box. Blueing is deep and you would think it came out of a custom shop. copper fouling is minimal.

They have slowly sneaked in total crap these days.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with all of u, u take any gun these days, or anything for that matter, there all made like crap, there just the output of companys taking short cuts to save a dollar and stick it to us. u even look at a car or truck these days, theres alot of plastic that never use to be there, IMO everything is going to crap
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum in a 12 gauge I got around 2 and a half years ago. Well a little longer than that but not quite 3 years yet. I had the same problem only it only did it with 2 3/4" shells. Federals worked fine but the Winchester 2 3/4" shells would do that. On 3" and 3 1/2" shells I never had the pump lock up like that but honestly it jams all the time. You'd be lucky to shoot off 20 rounds without it jamming at least once or sometimes 2 or 3 times. You wouldn't shoot 20 rounds off of Winchester 2 3/4" rounds without it jamming every few shots. On the 3" and 3 1/2" it was random jamming like the shell not ejecting all the way or turning sideways or not catching on the old shell and trying to send a new one in while the old shell was still in the barrel. Just random stuff like that never locking the pump up like it did with the others. I finally read that article and got a gun smith to clean the chamber of the barrel up and it works perfect with Winchester 2 3/4" shells now. I shot a box of 25 up with no jams and it did it every 3 shots or so before. I've not had it jam with any other shells I don't think now but I haven't shot many 3" or 3 1/2" shells through it since. I hope it fixed that issue too though. I've had several guys I hunt with tell me they have never seen a pump gun have as many problems as mine. I'm hoping I've got the problems worked out as I like the feel of the gun.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: matt6506

IMO everything is going to crap
Not everything. People was willing to pay 500 for a rifle in 1980, but still want to pay 500 now, and you get what you get. Sako, browning, FN-USA, all make top rifles. I wish I could add kimber to that list, but it appears, its hit or miss. And you can alwaysshell out 1500 for a total custom rifle.