Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?) >

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Old 12-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

I'm by no means protecting Remington and their Quality Standards!
However, all the gun manufactures that have been purchased by investment firms, they see only one thing, the bottom line.
"The most production at the cheapest cost and as fast as possible!
It is a sad day for firearm makers and quality standards!?!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Remington has been turning out turds for 8 years now. Friends I hunt with bought brand new 1187's slug guns, and jams every shot. It won't lift the shell up. Bolt is so rough it gets binded up. I have had two 1187's and an 1100 from the 80's and 90s and no problems.

I have had littlerly dozens of 700's. And never had a problem with any until 2002. Rough barrels, bad fitting between barrels and stocks, crowns out of round. I am done with remington until they clean thier act up a tad.
Hmmm, that's weird. I purchased an 11-87 and a 700 within the last 4 months and both of them are awesome! The only jamming I've had with the 11-87 has been when I was being a cheap skate and used some Winchester shells. Went back to Remington shells and haven't had a single issue since. The 700 is just fantastic!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

This is a pretty common issue with the 870 express. The rough chamber causes all sorts of ejection failures and/or rough cycling of the action.

A bronze brush with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around it, chucked into a drill and lubed with a decent oil will do the trick.

Yeah, I know, a new Remington shouldn't have to have this done to it but once that is done, it is all the problems you will probably ever have with it.
Hit the nail on the head right there. I always smooth it out to the forcing chamber.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the replies....

I was using Remington #6 shot (an old box I had laying around) - which is a little big for blasting clays, but what the the heck. My daughters boyfriend and his friend had two boxes of Winchester #8 target load (the cheap stuff with the aluminum end casing).

Anyway, I did a google search about the 870 Express "problem" and found an article and a discussionin Shotgun Journal or Gunner's World or some site like that. They mentioned the lack of quality control with Remington's Express line of shotguns. They are still fantastic shotguns, and they churn out millions of them every year. But the Remington 870 Wingmaster has more attention paid to it and everything is polished, honed, and smoothed out. The 870 Express is polished and that's about it. The action is a little rougher than the Wingmaster and takes more time to break in. The article also mentioned the 0000 steel wool/bore brush/cordless drill trick. But regardless, 870's are darn near indestructible. You can take one, drop it in the marsh, drop it in the mud, pick it up, wipe it off, and keep going. Everybody has (or has had) an 870. They are the F150 of shotguns.

But yet, it just seems that over these last couple of years, the quality of the 870 Express has gone down more so than in the past. [>:]
Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Are they doing a plastic trigger guard yet? I cant stand the way they cut the ribs on them, and that stupid key lock on the trigger. Then the dang laminate stock. Pure crap. I've got a model from the late 60's that was previously a prison gun. Refinished the wood and reblued and I've never seen a smoother action. True test is to hold the barrel up and push the slide release. A little shake and it drops right open.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:27 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Remington has been turning out turds for 8 years now. Friends I hunt with bought brand new 1187's slug guns, and jams every shot. It won't lift the shell up. Bolt is so rough it gets binded up. I have had two 1187's and an 1100 from the 80's and 90s and no problems.

I have had littlerly dozens of 700's. And never had a problem with any until 2002. Rough barrels, bad fitting between barrels and stocks, crowns out of round. I am done with remington until they clean thier act up a tad.
Hmmm, that's weird. I purchased an 11-87 and a 700 within the last 4 months and both of them are awesome! The only jamming I've had with the 11-87 has been when I was being a cheap skate and used some Winchester shells. Went back to Remington shells and haven't had a single issue since. The 700 is just fantastic!
I am not sure what you are trying to tell us? Are you trying to say just because you have a good working 11-87 then all of them should be perfect??

Then you have obviously never worked in a quality department or calculated yield or failure rates for a product.

SWT, how many have you owned? How many 700's have you owned? How many other types of guns have you owned?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure what you are trying to tell us? Are you trying to say just because you have a good working 11-87 then all of them should be perfect??

Then you have obviously never worked in a quality department or calculated yield or failure rates for a product.

SWT, how many have you owned? How many 700's have you owned? How many other types of guns have you owned?
I'm just trying to tell you that the guns I've purchased recently are in great working order. This was in reply to your post saying Remington has been turning out turds for the last 8 years.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
bigcountry

I'm just trying to tell you that the guns I've purchased recently are in great working order. This was in reply to your post saying Remington has been turning out turds for the last 8 years.
Well, I realize it was in reply. But what I am explaining is people that have owned well over a dozen of these products are starting to see hiccups. There will be failures in any product. Even the ones I design. There are acceptable failure rates, and then there is unacceptable. Some I have seen lately are unacceptable. I have 700's that were made within the last 8 years that shoot well. I also have traded off or had the gun rebuilt on several that was not. I have had some real good 1187's with thousands of shells put thru them. But I have ran into some recently that are unacceptable.

You can't take your one product and apply it as a rule to all guns.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I realize it was in reply. But what I am explaining is people that have owned well over a dozen of these products are starting to see hiccups. There will be failures in any product. Even the ones I design. There are acceptable failure rates, and then there is unacceptable. Some I have seen lately are unacceptable. I have 700's that were made within the last 8 years that shoot well. I also have traded off or had the gun rebuilt on several that was not. I have had some real good 1187's with thousands of shells put thru them. But I have ran into some recently that are unacceptable.

You can't take your one product and apply it as a rule to all guns.
Considering how many 870's, 11-87's, and 700's are manufacturered and purchasedeach year, how many bad apples does it take to say that there are problems with Remington as a whole?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

It's not just necessarily a function issue. Look at the fit and finish, nothing like it was.

Quick Reply: Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.