Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 handgun hunters.... >

handgun hunters....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

handgun hunters....

Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: handgun hunters....

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'm sure you already know this but rebuilding super blackhawks to 5 shot .454 and redhawks to .454 is getting pretty popular, I've built several super blackhawks to .454 in the last 3 years alone, and for a lot less money than freedom arms premeir grade.

Yes, I realize ruger offers super redhawks in .454 but a lot of people, like me for instance, like the action/lock design of thr redhawk better (MUCH smoother/lighter double action pull-no stackup weight).

NOT trying to get business, just sharing idesa of what some of my customers like.

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedi
I am also a Ruger fan, just so happens I've done some work for Ruger, so I may be biased.
As far as revolvers I believe they are the best bang for the buck (no pun intended).
I choose the Super Red Hawk (.44 mag) for the dbl action and I like the stock rubber grip, it fits my hands perfect.
I originally wanted the .454 but just couldn't fathom the price for the Freedom Arms revolver I wanted, it is sweet though!
I do remember hearing of this. Good info. stalkingbear

The .44 mag is a great all around hunting cartridge and have never needed anything else,
so that's my basic reason not to purchase a bigger cartridge.
The old saying... If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 hunting revolvers both are Ruger Super Redhawks one in .44 mag the other in 454 Casull both have taken deer and both have iron sights I try to keep shot under 125 yds. I think the Ruger's are the toughest revolvers on the market and both were about $600.00 they will handle any ammo you feed them I hope this helps chad
Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Try shooting the .44 or .45 with Cowboy loads. My grand son shoot many times when he was 12 yrs old. They will not be that loud also! I carry mine in a shoulder holster, "Bandalera",I think that is how you spell it. I also like to shoot off of tri pods.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Great responses BigJ71! How's the back doing after your last surgery, I've been wondering?

I am also a Ruger fan, just so happens I've done some work for Ruger, so I may be biased.
As far as revolvers I believe they are the best bang for the buck (no pun intended).
I choose the Super Red Hawk (.44 mag) for the dbl action and I like the stock rubber grip, it fits my hands perfect.

I also have a S&W .38 Special ~ 6" blued, amongst a few other pistols, just for plinking around.
The Smith's are another fine Revolver, so your Dad won't steer you wrong! Along with the Colts, you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I originally wanted the .454 but just couldn't fathom the price for the Freedom Arms revolver I wanted, it is sweet though!

Since I've had my Ruger I've grown to really enjoy pistol hunting and will attempt up to 75 yards, or so, under the perfect conditions. Past that, I am not comfortable. I use generic Dessert Eagle loads (cheap) and this guy went two feet.
-----> Straight Down! Good luck!

I'm doing great!! Thanks for asking bud.

I'm pretty much back to normal, it's been two months since the surgery and I'm back hunting. I've killed two doesthis year so far with mybow and one with my Super Blackhawk Hunter. I've seen a few bucksthis year as well but nothing I've wanted to shoot at. Still have a little more time so we'll see how the season goes. As far as I'm concerned though, this year has been a big success as I wasn't even sure I'd be able to hunt at all....

I love that photo! the little "thumbs up" is priceless!!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk, 7.5" Barrel....Didnt know anything about them when I first got it, price was right, like new. Put a Leupold fixed 2x scope on it. Never religously hunted with it. Have carried it but never commited to it. Im going to make that my goal for next year....to get good enough to have the confidence to carry it and it alone....or atleast some shooting sticks to up my confidence. Its a pleasure to shoot off of the bench. Have no use for the double action, but it's certainly no a hendrance. I have it sited at 50yds with Hornady 180gr. Luckily Im down to my last three bullets and going to up the weight and try to add some 'knock down' power to it and hopefully commit to using it next year.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Spike

I have three .44's. Contender with Super 14 barrel with 4x Burris scope. Ruger SRH w/ 9.5" barrel with 2x Bushnell scope. And also a S&W 629 Classic with open sites.

I have learned this season that the 4 power scope is too much for finding anything on the move unless it is really far away. 75 yards or so. The 2 power scope is ideal for sitting in a tree stand with deer out to 100 yards and anything in close. I took a doe right under me opening day. Had no problem getting the cross hairs on her even while she was moving. The open sited Smith is good out to maybe 50 yards with my ability.
If I was forced to pick just one, the Ruger would stay with me and the other two would have to go. Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot the other two, it's just the Ruger fits me well and is very nice to shoot even with the hottest loads my dad cooks up.
Good luck with your choice!