Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 Rem Mag???? >

7 Rem Mag????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 Rem Mag????

Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default 7 Rem Mag????

Ok, I've got a new rifle picked out, but I'm still trying to decide on caliber. I've useda .243 for the last thirteen years and love it, but i'm taking into consideration the fact that I will possibly be going after elk in the next few years. I'm thinking about a 7 Rem Mag, anybody use one? How bad is it on recoil, availability of ammunition, and also price of ammunition? thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7 Rem Mag????

The ammo is available at every sporting goods store I've been to. You'll more than double both the recoil and the price of ammo of your .243. I've got a 7mm Rem Mag, and use the Managed Recoil ammo from Remington that approximates the performance of a 7mm-08.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a 7mm mag is snappy but doesn't kick much. I think it feels pretty much like a .30-06.

Tom
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM

I think the 7mm RemMag may be one of the most versatile rounds out there. Yes, it has some kick to it. That said, it will handle just about every type of game in the US without being overkill on Whitetail. It hits very hardout to long ranges and has a flat trajectory (flatter than the 308 or 30.06). If you can handle the recoil without flinching, it is a great caliber.

Just one guy's opinion.....
Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mag is a good choice! I have not done so yet, but mine was purchased for the possibility of Elk hunting. I've used it on deer and it works great!
This year, I went back to the .243, and let my 7MM RM rest!
The .243 is plenty enough for deer. As for the recoil, a lot of that will depend on the style and weight of your gun.
I have a light weight .308, and if anything, I think it might be a little rougher than the heavier 7mm! Good luck!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:03 PM

For all practical shooting ranges, get a 30-06. Yea i know it sounds a little dull, but it will more then get the job for any deer or elk. It wont beat you around and it still packs a punch out the muzzle.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM

i agree - get a 30-06. remember, it's the standard by which all others are judged.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

7 mags r the bomb its my absolute favorite next to the 6.5x55 swede. But to make your choice a lil bit better get the 7 weatherby mag.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

The 7mm Rem mag is a great cartridge. I had one in a Browning A-Bolt Hunter years ago and loved it. I sold it to my uncle when I moved back to Indiana and he still hunts with it to this day. When I moved back out west I bought a 300 Win Mag and hunted a few years with that but just recently decided to go back to the .284 caliber and went with a .280 Ackley Improved. It's a few hundred feet per second slower than the 7mm mag but performs very closely to it. The 7's are a great caliber and now with the Barnes bullets they will take anything in the lower 48 with no problem.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Spike

Well which ever one you choose, I personally would go for a light weight cause that thing will feel like a zillion pounds if you are humping up and down the moutains chasing elk. Yea-- you get more recoil with a light weight...but you will never feel it when you go to shoot that elk...HAHA.

If you do get a light weight rifle...for gods sake also get a good scope that is also light weight! BTW...I know plenty of guys that kill elk with a 243 but its not my 1st choice....my favorite is the 300wm..

Also note by buying a caliber that is popular..its easier to find ammo at better prices and locations...like the middle of no-where at mom and pop stores..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.