Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this? >

Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

I have a Ruger 10/22. It's always jammed some but even still I love this gun. Today I noticed it was really bad about it. Usually I can shoot 25 rounds or so and sometimes it will do it once or twice and other times not at all. However, today it wanted to do it every 2 shots or so. Anyway, it's not really jamming but it's not ejecting the old shell all the way out. It's just pulling it out of the barrel and turning it sideways so when the action tries to close again with the next shell it hits the old empty shell that's turned sideways in there. Any idea why it's not ejecting it all the way out?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Might be time for a new titanium extractor. I had a 10/22 that did this (after a lot of years of use/abuse), and that fixed my problem.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Inactive

When was the last time you gave it a good internal/external cleaning ? Sounds like the internal workings are gumming up on you.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: x-mountie

When was the last time you gave it a good internal/external cleaning ? Sounds like the internal workings are gumming up on you.
I haven't taken it apart since I got it new 4 years or so ago. It's sort of had this problem since new but seems like it's worse now. Do I need to take it all apart to clean it? Right now I've just been spraying it down and trying to wipe it off the best I could.

As for the titanium extractor how much are they and is it something I need to have a gunsmith put on?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take the bolt out of the action and give it a thorough cleaning first. Most .22LR ammo is pretty dirty, and when the blowback fouling mixes with oil it turns into thick sludge that will gum it up good. Take it apart, clean it out really good, apply a THIN layer of a good lube/preservative. I'm very partial to Breakfree CLP because it lubes and protects very well while leaving the parts dry. It's the commercial version of the Milspec CLP that is issued for use with the M16/M4 series rifles. It's designed for a select-fire weapon in harsh and dirty environments, and when applied correctly it doesn't attract dirt, sand and fouling.

Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like I'm going to need to get the manual out as I've never taken the bolt apart before and have no idea how to start. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you are experience something called "stove piping" where the empty round doesn't fully eject and gets stuck when the bolt closes. My first guess would be that the inner mechanisms are dirty. I would give it a good cleaning and see if that helps.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a different magazine. I've got two for my Ruger, With one it almost always jams on the last round, with the other, it operates perfectly.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

10/22 uses both the claw on the bolt and a rail on the magazine to extract and then eject. On aftermarket magazines that do not have steel inserts for the lips this is a common occurance. With enough rounds a steel lipped magazine may wear enough to do this also.

Plus.. a good disassemble and clean is probably in order...

Dry fire this gun much? Check the barrel's breech face for a firing pin indentation...
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

i would also try different ammo and see if it still does this. I have gotten 22lr ammo that was weak or wouldn't eject. I tried different types and now i use CCI which works every time.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.