Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this? >

Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

I don't know that I've ever purposely dry fired it. I've dry fired it when I thought one was in the chamber and it wasn't a few times and stuff like that but not much.

I was using the stock 10 round Ruger magazine that hasn't had all that much use. I usually use a Butler Creek 25 round magazine but the fitment is so so on that one and it's not the most reliable magazine out there. It seems to cause jams too. The stock magazine is usually pretty good. I'm thinking maybe it's just dirty.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Spike

I had the same problem as you. I changed out the extractor and still had the same problem. Took everything apart again and found the problem, a bunch of gunk was built up behind the extractor on the bolt face. I should have cleaned it when I replaced the extractor.
The extractor should run you less than $20, but you may want to clean it real well first like everyone suggests.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I haven't taken it apart since I got it new 4 years or so ago. It's sort of had this problem since new but seems like it's worse now. Do I need to take it all apart to clean it? Right now I've just been spraying it down and trying to wipe it off the best I could.

Bought it new 4 yrs ago and never cleaned it?![&:] Sounds like someone didn't read thier manual either. Shame!
I'd say it's time for a GOOD thorough cleaning and try it again. If the problem persists try a new extractor, the material is really moot (Ti or other)

Read:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123409

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246898

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206639
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

I haven't taken it apart since I got it new 4 years or so ago. It's sort of had this problem since new but seems like it's worse now. Do I need to take it all apart to clean it? Right now I've just been spraying it down and trying to wipe it off the best I could.

Bought it new 4 yrs ago and never cleaned it?![&:] Sounds like someone didn't read thier manual either. Shame!
I'd say it's time for a GOOD thorough cleaning and try it again. If the problem persists try a new extractor, the material is really moot (Ti or other)

Read:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123409

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246898

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206639
I've cleaned the gun plenty just never taken it all apart to clean each piece. It's been shot some but a ton either. I took it all apart and cleaned it. I'm not sure if I didn't read the manual back then or just don't remember what it said now so I got the manual out and learned how to take it all apart. It wasn't as dirt as I expected but it did have some stuff in it. I haven't shot it yet to see if it fixxed it. This problem has sort of been there since new though. It also had a problem with the magazine not working correctly when I got it but Ruger sent a replacement one of those that fixed that issue. Overall, I really like this gun though and it's super accurate. I'm thinking it was just dirty. Hopefully anyway.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does it jam with different brand ammo?

My 10/22 will shoot Remington Value Packs all day without hesitation but the federal value pack jams constantly.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Does it jam with different brand ammo?

My 10/22 will shoot Remington Value Packs all day without hesitation but the federal value pack jams constantly.
My 10/22 is completeley opposite of yours...It will shoot the Federals all day and jam up with the Remington value packs. It's funny how 2 "identical" guns prefer different ammo.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest 2 things. #1-order a new power custom or other aftermarket extractor & springas it sounds like it wasn't totally up to spec to begin with and the aftermarket extractors have improved angle/dimensions/tolerances, and the springs are stronger. And the 2nd thing is when you get the new extractor/spring, COMPLETELY disassemble your rifle-including removing barrel, then take powder cleaning solvent, some brushes, and clean the hell out of it. I can almost guarantee it'll TOTALLY take care of it's problem and function even better than new. If you think changing extractor/spring is beyond your ability,send it (bolt,new extractor & extractor spring) to me and I'll install it for you. Or you could take it to your gunsmith to install. It takes about 30 seconds to install both of them.

I have a Ruger 10/22. It's always jammed some but even still I love this gun. Today I noticed it was really bad about it. Usually I can shoot 25 rounds or so and sometimes it will do it once or twice and other times not at all. However, today it wanted to do it every 2 shots or so. Anyway, it's not really jamming but it's not ejecting the old shell all the way out. It's just pulling it out of the barrel and turning it sideways so when the action tries to close again with the next shell it hits the old empty shell that's turned sideways in there. Any idea why it's not ejecting it all the way out?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm going to see how it does after the cleaning and if it still does it I may get a new extractor spring. That seems to be the next step. I kind of want to shoot it after cleaning to see but I'm not sure that will have fixed it as it wasn't all that dirty.

As for the ammo I am not sure. I have a bunch of .22 ammo at home but I only took the Federal value pack of 550 rounds you can get at Wal-Mart. I also shot 10 rounds of Winchester high speed ammo that comes in the red packs of 100 that you can get for like $7-8 at Wal-Mart. I don't think it did it any but I'm not sure.
I have a bunch of rounds of Winchester hollow points, Federal Hollow points, Remington regular non hollow points, and about 70-80 rounds of CCI hollow points at home so I may should go test out the different kinds and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys. I guess all I can do now is go shoot it and see if cleaning it fixed it.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest getting another factory mag as well. I have a few factory mags that don't work like they should, or you could try to clean the ffactory mag you have via the instructions in the manual.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Ive had problems like that also. i suggest using CCI Stingers for ammo. whenever i use these rounds, it never jams. when i use anything else, like remington and sometime federal, it will jam just like yours is doing.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on how to get a Ruger 10/22 to stop doing this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.