HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   H&R SLUG HUNTER DELUXE WITH THUMBHOLE (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/278274-h-r-slug-hunter-deluxe-thumbhole.html)

Fletch 12-13-2008 07:43 AM

H&R SLUG HUNTER DELUXE WITH THUMBHOLE

I just ordered a new H&R slug hunter deluxe with thumbhole 12 gauge, If anybody has this gun,please send me some feedback on what sabot's you shoot and how high you sight it in at 50 yards to put it right on at 100 yards.

sjsfire 12-13-2008 02:02 PM

RE: H&R SLUG HUNTER DELUXE WITH THUMBHOLE

I'm thinking of getting the same only in 20ga. I think you'll find as with any slug gun it is trial and error. Buy a box of 3-6 different brands and go shoot. Most guys with the USH I know say slugs that use the Hornaday SSt's and the Lightfield group the best. Good Luck

ges58 09-08-2010 01:01 PM

I just traded in my 20 ga with the regular stock for one with the thumbhole in 20ga. I was shooting Hornady SST's in mine and you couild drive tacks with it. The only thing I noticed is that after about 6 or 7 shoots you need to run a brush down the barrel to remove the plastic fowling or it would start to shoot off a little. I shot a 90 lb doe at 95 yards and she fell in a pile and never moved. Before I got the H&R 20 i tried lightfields in my 870 in 12 ga. They are acurrate but the slug is hard and will just punch holes and do not expand like the SST's do. I am hoping to sight mine in next week. Good luck with yours and I know you will like it.

BOWHUNTERCOP 09-08-2010 04:47 PM

I have the Ultra Deluxe in 20ga topped off with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, using Hornady SSTs and I drive tacks with this set up. I really think for deer size game the 20ga is perfect. I sighted mine in to be 2.5" high at 50 yards

robbcayman 09-10-2010 05:35 PM

I think you will enjoy it.

chammons 09-12-2010 08:21 AM

I have a 20ga H&R that i'm shooting Hornady SST out of. the gun is brand new and shoots pretty well.. the only problem I am having is that the spent shell won't eject.. after every shot I have to use a ramrod down the barrel to poke out the shell. I haven't had a chance to get the gun looked at, but I'm still confident that the gun is overall reliable.

demoIL 09-12-2010 06:39 PM

Well I have the USH in 20 ga. as well.. VX II, 3-9x40
The SST's shot like crap for me... But after shooting about 10 different slugs my best bet came from the Remington Premier Accutip 3" slugs.. I am shooting 1" groups at 100 yards..

uncle matt 09-13-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by chammons (Post 3680602)
I have a 20ga H&R that i'm shooting Hornady SST out of. the gun is brand new and shoots pretty well.. the only problem I am having is that the spent shell won't eject.. after every shot I have to use a ramrod down the barrel to poke out the shell. I haven't had a chance to get the gun looked at, but I'm still confident that the gun is overall reliable.

That not ejecting is not too uncommon. Take the ejector apart yourself. Don't let the spring get away from you. Look inside for any small metal shavings or pieces from the machining process. Clean it out with solvent and let it dry well. Take the ejector itself and lap it just a minute on a fine file of sandpaper on a flat surface. Clean that real well too. Then reassemble it. I recommend a using some LPS greaseless-lubricant in there as it dries to a non-greasy so lint, dust fired powder doesn't stick to it like an oil.

Also some guys like to put a BB in as a spring spacer. (the BB goes in before the spring) It gives the shell more pop when ejected.