Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 38 special for conceal and carry >

38 special for conceal and carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

38 special for conceal and carry

Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default 38 special for conceal and carry

I have a Taurus millenion pro in 45acp, and it is a good pistol, but the trigger pull in really long and some what heavy, I looked at snubbed nosed revolvers, but most I see are in 38 special or 38+p, a few are in 357 mag. The question I have is a 38 special/38+p suitible for self defence/conceal and carry?

pat
Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 38 special for conceal and carry

I have a Taurus .38 special, 5 shot snub nosed revolver that I carry. The .38 special is probably one of the most popular CCW's out there even though you don't hear much hype about them.

Boththe standard .38 and the +P are great, but if you get one that isn't "+P" (like mine) you have to be carefull about which ammo you buy for it. A 357 magnum would be great too because you could shoot .38 special ammo in it as well as 357 mag ammo.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

even simple stuff like a holster/laser is hard to get for my pistol, which is another reason I am looking to getting another gun for carrying, and keeping my 45 for home use.

pat
Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

A limited amount of +P ammo is o.k. in non-rated guns. Better to have the extra horsepower, particularly the 158 grain lead hollowpoints.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

at the ranges MOST shooters can accurately shoot a snubbed nose, it aint gunna matter if its a 38, 38+p, or 357mag....snubbed nose revolvers arent the easiest thing to shoot, have a good amount of recoil(357mag in a snub nose, exspecially and airlight, is DIFFICULT to handle..) and have a short barrel and sight plane which make them hard to shoot accurately....so IMO it wont make a difference for MOST people in what ammo is in the snubbed nose...

long heavy trigger pulls are also somewhat prefered in LE and CC. reason being that in times of stress and such, like when youd be using a firearm, it will be harder to pull than say a single action pistol...cant jerk it(as easily) and makes you think before the gun goes off and you got someone dead on the floor...i probably didnt explain that well, but thats what ive read....

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

is one make better than the other when it comes to revolvers?
pat
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Colt Detective Special in .38special and love it. It's loud as hell but it has some "umph" behind it.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

A limited amount of +P ammo is o.k. in non-rated guns. Better to have the extra horsepower, particularly the 158 grain lead hollowpoints.
Oh really?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM

I carry a S&W J Frame model 340in .357 Mag. The retired police officer that recommended the J frame had some pretty good advice for me- buy something that you won't leave at home just because it's inconvienent to carry.
I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers and have a number of them that always go bang.
I will say that shooting lots of .357's in amodel 340isn't pleasant, but isn't any worse than shooting .44's in a large frame (IMO). I do the majority of my target practice with handloaded .38's, but keep it loaded with .357's for personal protection.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Whats the word on Taurus and Charter Arms, I see they are cheaper than S&W and Ruger, do you get what you pay for?

pat

Quick Reply: 38 special for conceal and carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.