Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 38 special for conceal and carry >

38 special for conceal and carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

38 special for conceal and carry

Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default RE: 38 special for conceal and carry

I got an S & W 442 airweight that works realy well for concealed carry. No hammer to snag on clothing when you have to pull it out.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

JKoty-that's the exact same model I bought the wife. If you want a tip, Order the wolff spring kit and install it or have someone install it for you. It WILL safely reduce felt trigger pull weight by at least 30-40% and remain 100% reliable. Trust me, it'll make ALL the difference in the world, not only easier to shoot, but you'll be suprized how much more accuratly you can shoot it. I was amazed how much difference just the spring kit made. I'm currently considering ordering crimson trace lasergrips for her as I can never get her to shoot as much as I THINK SHE should and that would greatly assist her aim.

ORIGINAL: JKody
I got an S & W 442 airweight that works realy well for concealed carry. No hammer to snag on clothing when you have to pull it out.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The question I have is a 38 special/38+p suitible for self defence/conceal and carry?
Nothing beats a good .45 ACP pistol......

That said the .38+P revolver will be better than pointing your finger at them and hollering B A N G!!!!!

It was the standard police revolver for half a century.....it still works!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

A limited amount of +P ammo is o.k. in non-rated guns. Better to have the extra horsepower, particularly the 158 grain lead hollowpoints.
Oh really?
Yes really.

My stainlessTaurus 85has hadmore than50 rounds of +P ammo through it and the lockup is still as tight as ever. "Limited amounts" is the key. Too much and you willlikely do some damage.

For defensive use the old FBI load (158 grain, +Psemi-wadcutter hollowpoint)is pretty good in the snubbies. This is what I stoke my snubbie and my house gun with.

The .38 is a slow round and needs the +P velocity to get any kind of expansion. LAPD carried 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints and the cops hated it,too light and the jacket actually reduced the expansion.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

With summer coming, I am also worried about a bullet from my 45 acp passing through.
pat
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

With summer coming, I am also worried about a bullet from my 45 acp passing through.
pat
Ever thought about any of the frangible ammo on the market? I carry these in my S&W 442... 38SPL+P to eliminate as much as possible the possibility of unintended casualties.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgist...d=2505187.3584

Look at a few of the videos on Youtube about Extreme Shock ammo.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind any concealed carry firearm is considered a very close range weapon. Familiarity is keyword. The relatively mild recoil from 38 and inexpensive practice ammo available means you can practice with it... alot. A S&W model 60 or 36 is a compact weapon, easily carried. The weapon you have more frequently is superior to the big and bulky you left at home. I have handled quite a few Tauruses, and they seem to be quite good quality, and the reviews I have read have been consistently good, but if my life may depend on it, I will not squander a few dollars. I believe in S&W.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I use two for CCW:

1911 Commander size in .45 ACP
Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag.

Love em' both.

My wife has a Taurus snubby in .38. I was told by the Taurus folks NOT to shoot +P loads in it.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bowflex
Yes really.

My stainlessTaurus 85has hadmore than50 rounds of +P ammo through it and the lockup is still as tight as ever. "Limited amounts" is the key. Too much and you willlikely do some damage.

For defensive use the old FBI load (158 grain, +Psemi-wadcutter hollowpoint)is pretty good in the snubbies. This is what I stoke my snubbie and my house gun with.

The .38 is a slow round and needs the +P velocity to get any kind of expansion. LAPD carried 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints and the cops hated it,too light and the jacket actually reduced the expansion.
It is simply irresponsible to come on here and recommend to someone that they shoot +p in a gun the MANUFACTURER tells you not to use it in. State any source besides the fact that you have not blown your own gun up yet that indicates even limited numbers or +p rounds in a non +p rated gun is ok.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

Default 38 snubbie

I have the Taurus airlite 38 snubbie... just practice !! I have fired hundreds of rounds thru mine ! Still as tight as day one, I feel anything or one within 15 feet is in a world of hurt. I have shot a lot of rounds into wet telephone books with devastating damage. I have found 140 grain hornady hollow points most accurate ... just practice and you will have a fine carry weapon !!

Quick Reply: 38 special for conceal and carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.