HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I need some help please... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/277821-i-need-some-help-please.html)

dixiedawg80 12-10-2008 01:46 PM

I need some help please...

I hope this post is okay, I really need some help. I have come into a little money and would like to purchase a new rifle, one to pass on to my son someday. Anyways, the only rifle I own now is a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in .270 WSM. I really want a .30-06. Now here's the deal. My budget is no more than $1500.00. My thoughts are on a Kimber, but is it worth the money? Is a Ruger or Remington just as good? I really would like an "heirloom" gun. Make sense? Thanks for all help. I really love this forum.

DD

stalkingbear 12-10-2008 02:03 PM

RE: I need some help please...

No matter what you choose,please do yourself a favor and check out the browning X-bolt mediallion before you buy anything. A LOT of the kimbers I've been in contact with have had rough bolts out of box and some had to have bolt/reciever lapped for smooth operation. Also,some of the kimbers had excessive bolt play.

kendradad 12-10-2008 03:02 PM

+1 on the browning. It is at the top of your budget, but I would also consider a Sako Finnlight. You can get one in synthetic and stainless for 1500.00 if you are so inclined.

Pawildman 12-10-2008 04:49 PM

Well, you might give this some thought....Instead of buying a new rifle, why don't you consider buying something on the market that's already increasing in value...such as a real nice pre-64 or better yet, a pre-war Model 70 Win. in 30-06 ?? It's still a hand-me -down to your next of kin, and already proven to be a much sought-after rifle. They're out there for that price and less....like money in the bank......

mauser06 12-10-2008 05:15 PM

my suggestion was going to be like PAwildmans....

maybe check into some older rifles...particularly Winchesters....pre-64 m70s, m88s, etc....to me, they would be much more of an heirloom than a new, fancy production rifle.

price rises on particularly old winchesters dang near daily. they are getting harder and harder to find...and are beautiful rifles and will REALLY be worth something long down the road....even used ones that have been hunted with....i took my first deer with an m88...hopefully one day that gun is given to me.....but i doubt it...i'll hafta buy my own here soon...

hometheaterman 12-10-2008 08:51 PM

I'd also check out the Browning. I have a Browning BAR in 30-06 and I really like it. Has a awesome feel to it. At least to me. Accuracy could be better however, as long as you shoot Federal Fusion shells you can get really good groups with it. It took me a while to find that as some shells don't want to group together. It doesn't seem to jam infact I've never had it jam on me I don't think. One time it messed up but I wouldn't really say it jammed and I've shot quite a few hundred rounds through it. It's not picky about jamming but it's picky about shells when it comes to accuracy. All of them are close enough for a deer or something like that but the Fusions were the only ones I found that I was happy with. I love how the gun feels though. I've been told that the semi auto's often aren't as accurate as a bolt action anyway. I'm not sure if that's true or not but this thing is accurate enough for me once I found the shells it liked. I got mine at a local gun shop used. It was made in 1990. They make new ones though. The place was asking $550 for it and $223 for the scope and I ended up with all of it out the door with tax for $750 so I'm not sure what they took the money off of but that's quite a bit under your budget. Even with the new BAR's you could get one in your price range with a decent scope.

I'd check out the bolt actions as mentioned above too. I'm just a semi auto guy myself though.

HEAD0001 12-11-2008 12:12 AM

Kimber is a fantastic choice. Another great choice would be a Cooper. I think you could get into one for close to what you want to spend. Tom.

bugsNbows 12-11-2008 12:48 AM

A Cooper would be my suggestion. Beautiful and deadly accurate.

Bernie P. 12-11-2008 07:13 AM

IMO a Ruger or Remington is just as good possibly better.

Retaks 12-11-2008 09:32 AM

I love my synthetic stocked rifles but if i wanted something to pass along i would get a nice high gloss rifle in 30-06. It would prob be a Remington 700 with a bedding jopb and trigger job and some real nice glass on top./