Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best slug gun????? >

best slug gun?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best slug gun?????

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Spike

Default best slug gun?????

hi all i hunt in northern wisconsin and occasionally in southern wher it is shotgun only i want to buy a shotgun just for deer hunting money is not a problem willing to spend up to a $1,000 but i want this gun to be a tack driver out to 150 yards any suggestions on guns and slugs would be appreciated thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Default RE: best slug gun?????

If a guy is wanting first-shot accurracy to 150 yards then I think a H&R ultra slug hunter is the way to go. Add a good scope and lots of testing/practice, 150 is easily do-able.

There is the issue of it being a single shot, but if a guy can put the first one where he wants, it doesn't really matter, at least not to me.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Spike

Remington 11-87 Sportsman Deer plus a decent scope and I feel very confident shooting out to 150 yards with Remington Core-Lokt slugs. Semi-auto,rifled barrelfor slugs, cantilevered scope mount.

The setup should come in under your budget. I have put ~500 rounds through mine and never had an issue.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Spike

I use a Rem 870 with cantilever rifled barrel and a relatively cheap scope (can't remember what it is; came with the gun). I can do a 2" group at 100 yrd. with Hornady SST shotgun rounds without really trying very hard. I've never pushed it past 100 yds. as that is getting beyond the range I need to shoot but I think it could do it.

I didn't think "150 yd. tack driver" and "shotguns" could or should be used in the same sentence? I was under the impression that2" groups at 100 yds. is pretty darn good for slug gun, or am I mistaken?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage 210 with an aftermarket SAV-2 trigger topped with a quality scope and a rangefinder for accurate estimation of 100yds plus shots is easily constructed for 1K$ and would be my top recomendaton.

JC

Shot last week at 100yds...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The most accurate I have seen personnaly is the Benelli slug barrels...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM

If you got the money go with a Tar hunt. If not all slug guns are accurate if you find the slug it likes.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

If you are looking for the most accurate slug gun, I agree, Tar Hunt is it.

For a more standard off the shelf solution, I would look at guns that have a cantilever scope mount on the barrel. This ensures that the barrel and scope are fixed together and will provide the highest level of long term stability. Another option is to get a gun that has its barrel pinned to the receiver, but that will make a dedicated slug gun only.

Just as in rifles, you will find that some slugs shoot better in some guns than others. After you select your gun, buy a few boxes of different slugs and hit the range. You will most likely find that your gun likes one particular type more than the others. Buy another box of those and then a couple more boxes of yet different slugs. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you find the one slug your gun likes best or you get what you determine to be acceptable accuracy. Then go out and buy like more 6 boxes from the same store you got the originals (you want to get the same lot# if you can).
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

If a guy is wanting first-shot accurracy to 150 yards then I think a H&R ultra slug hunter is the way to go. Add a good scope and lots of testing/practice, 150 is easily do-able.

There is the issue of it being a single shot, but if a guy can put the first one where he wants, it doesn't really matter, at least not to me.

x's 2
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I was looking into maybe getting a savage 210...or an H&R here in the near future....I currently have a mossberg 500 that shoots OK at best..

Quick Reply: best slug gun?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.