Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BOSS or no BOSS >

BOSS or no BOSS

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BOSS or no BOSS

Old 04-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BOSS or no BOSS

Whether you use the boss with the muzzle brake or the cr adapter the barrel will be shorter and you will lose velocity.If you handload the longer barrel will still produce more velocity and proper load development will give you groups just as small as what the boss will give you.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:00 PM

SJ, if I can match the book velocity without going over max powder charge I' m happy. Yea, if the barrel was a true 26" I could pick up a few more FPS, but does it realy matter when shooting 400 yards or less. Accuracy wise, my loads were 5/8" at best (wich is respectable) to groups in the .200" when utalizing the BOSS. Do you realy need that tight of a group out of a hunting rifle, probably not. Sure is nice to shoot em though!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:10 PM

A friend of mine has a browning a-bolt in a .300 win mag with a boss and it shoots very nice recoil wise but it is really loud,i liked it the gun so much i bought one in the .30-06 with out the boss ,i love it ,it kicks a little bit but it does not bother me ,i reload so i can fiddle with loads and it is not as loud .
Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I really like the boss system. I have the Boss CR on my browning .243 and the ability to tune good factory loads with it has been a life saver more than once. I found that a federal premium load dialed in with the boss will shoot 1/2" or less groups at 100 yards all day. I just developed a handload that was as close to federal premiums load so now that is the only load I shoot. If I happen to go hunting and forget my ammo or run out, I just go to the nearest store and buy some federal premium stuff and know that it will still shoot sub 1/2" groups. I may be losing a few fps but I don' t care. OF the 15 deer shot with the same load and rifle not one has cared that the 100gr Sierra SBT was only going 2850 and not 2950fps like it could have been. You might not need the boss, but it comes in handy.