Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BOSS or no BOSS >

BOSS or no BOSS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BOSS or no BOSS

Old 04-05-2003, 12:12 AM

Default BOSS or no BOSS

I am getting ready to buy a new browning abolt in 30.06 for deer and elk hunting but not sure if I should spend the extra money on the BOSS. Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOSS or no BOSS

Welcome to the board, there are advantages and disavantages to having the Boss.On the upside you can fine tune your shots.On the downside the Boss makes the shot allot louder and sends the blast back towards the shooter.Unless you need pinpoint accuracy there is really no need for the Boss.For general hunting situations, the rifle without the boss is more then suffcient.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-05-2003, 03:14 AM

like ruger-redhawk said. there are ups and downs. but i have been also told that it optimizes your groups and accuracy with the BOSS for someone who does not reload. if you reload i would not go with it since you can work with accuracy that way.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:46 AM

ESetter1, I have 30-06 browning w/ the BOSS. (I even reload). Just as the other two said there are advantages & disadvantages of the BOSS. Recoil is greatly reduced with the BOSS it really takes the bite out of recoil. It does make make report louder, but you won' t notice it hunting.

I bought my rifle when the BOSS first came out and have been using it for over 9 years now. The ability to tune your shots is very nice, but it does take time and practice to do it. I' d buy another BOSS equipted rifle.

Old 04-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I owned one rifle with the boss and will not own another.The boss greatly increases muzzle blast and the barrels on boss equipped rifles are made shorter to make up for the length of the boss.The result is that boss equipped rifles produce less velocity than non boss equipped rifles.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

they remind me of the old " dial a duck" chokes used on shotguns.....they work....yes they do.....but their gains (in my opinion) don' t outweigh the loss of barrel length, loss of aesthetics, extra muzzle blast directed back, extra weight, loss of resale value, ............They are a great marketing device and that' s about the end of their value.....
Old 04-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:23 PM

My buddy has a browning 270 with the boss on it. It really is a tack driver but yes it is LOUD. He won' t even shoot it in a hunting situation without putting on hearing protection which has caused him to miss some shots. Said he just can' t take the days of having " crickets" in his ears. Having said that I think the boss is available in a cr version(conventional recoil) which doesn' t have the muzzle brake but still allows you to tune your barrell.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

would go for the BOSS Sys. You can get the BOSS Sys. without the muzzle brake. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:23 AM

If you like your rifle to shoot tiny groups without sinking a ton of money into it get the BOSS. Use the " CR" if you don' t like the noise (yea, like a rifle range isn' t noisy). If you load your own, a little trial with different powders will recover your " lost velocity" due to the shorter barrel. Guys at the range don' t like shooting next to you, TOO BAD! Your suppose to be concentrating on your shot. Ain' t any worse that wind blowing in your face. Try shooting next to someone firing a Barret! Some of us don' t have the luxury to be hunting in perfect weather conditions within an enclosed house on stilts.[>:]

Quick Reply: BOSS or no BOSS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.