Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question On 410 And Buckshot >

Question On 410 And Buckshot

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question On 410 And Buckshot

Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Question On 410 And Buckshot

i'm against using buckshot in anything other than a 12 guage (for deer). i would caution against using it in a 410. if you are determined to let your son hunt deer with his 410, get a couple boxes of slugs and shoot the gun to see how accurate they are at various distances (25,35,45 yards, etc.) let the boy shoot the gun to be sure he can handle it and shoot it accurately. only then would i allow him to hunt deer, and then i'd instruct him to hold his fire until i said so (as in the deer moved to within the distance where the boy was accurate).ymmv......
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got him a H&R 20ga single shot slug gun, which has a fully rifled barrel, you could have him shoot the Remington Buckhammer Managed-Recoil slugs to start, and as he grows into the gun he could move up to full power shells in the future.

I'd be a little reluctant to use a .410 bore for deer, and definitely not with buckshot. Slugs maybe at under 50 yards. A 20ga will serve him better as he grows. I got my first 20ga when I was 8, and I handled everything up to heavy field pheasant loads just fine.

Mike

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks so much to all that replied!After reading all replies I will get a few boxes of slugs and see how they shoot from it.Has anyone here shot slugs from a Mossberg 500 in a full choke barrel and first was it safe from a full choke barrel and was it fairly accurate?I am a slug gun shooter who has a H and R Ultra Sluggester and I have been shooting slugs for over 10 years and love them but always from a rifled barrel so I dont have much experience from a smoothbore so any help is appreciated.My boy just turned 8 and only weighs 64 pounds and he shoots 3 inch mags from his gun and it rocks him but he can handke it but a 20 gauge is to much at this stage in his life as I already have one for him when he is ready.Right now he shoots off a shooting stick as his arms are not quite long enough to hold up the forearm and he never shoots more than 25 or 30 yards maxium as it is so thick where we hunt.Thanks so much to all that responded! Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like what I said earlier and what driftrider stated,actually a 20 gauge with mild slug load will kick no worse than the .410 with 3" slugs. Try it and see for yourself-make sure to get reduced recoil tho.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: vaslugger

Thanks so much to all that replied!After reading all replies I will get a few boxes of slugs and see how they shoot from it.Has anyone here shot slugs from a Mossberg 500 in a full choke barrel and first was it safe from a full choke barrel and was it fairly accurate?I am a slug gun shooter who has a H and R Ultra Sluggester and I have been shooting slugs for over 10 years and love them but always from a rifled barrel so I dont have much experience from a smoothbore so any help is appreciated.My boy just turned 8 and only weighs 64 pounds and he shoots 3 inch mags from his gun and it rocks him but he can handke it but a 20 gauge is to much at this stage in his life as I already have one for him when he is ready.Right now he shoots off a shooting stick as his arms are not quite long enough to hold up the forearm and he never shoots more than 25 or 30 yards maxium as it is so thick where we hunt.Thanks so much to all that responded! Mike

My understanding is that slugs in a full choke is a BIG NO-NO!!!. Check with others to be sure.
Here's a site worth looking at: http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: idunno

ORIGINAL: vaslugger

My understanding is that slugs in a full choke is a BIG NO-NO!!!. Check with others to be sure.
Here's a site worth looking at: http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html
It's not that big of a no-no. Many people do it. Not really a safety issue, it's more of an accuracy issue. Rifled slugs out of smooth bores shoot best when they don't have to squeeze to get out of the barrel, so an open choke or improved would be best.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

My .410 H & R Topper Jr. full choke would consistently put slugs into the center of an 8" paper plate at 40 yards. You would have played heck wining a turkey shoot with it but a deer 40 or so yards out is a perfectly ethical shot. Just make sure the kid practices enough to be efficient with what ever he shoots.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Seeing all the responses I have to give my 2 cents worth. First off,ifyou aren't from a southern state then you don't understand the way we hunt in some of the southernstates. We of course use dogs and hunt thick stuff alot of the times. Buckshot is what we use as most of the time as thedeer are hauling freightand you are shooting through brush. The object is to only shoot out to 40 yards.Here in Viginia every county sets there own firearm rules and some counties only buckshot is allowed. Do I recommend a .410, No. You only get 3 pellets ofOO buckshot in it and it is more of a handicap. My son is 8 and he carries a youth model 20 gauge auto. That way some of the recoil is absorb. With a single shot 20 gauge there is alot of recoil for someone that small but if they are shooting at a deer they tend not to notice. Igrew up in Iowa and Nebraska and see both sides. Now that I live in Virginia I do alot of dog hunting andmust say it is exciting and fun.I feel that if you haven't tried it and haven't shot a deer with buckshot then how can you comment. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Leafrivermac

Is on the money with this one. A 410 with slugs only (not BB) is OK! at 30yards or less PERIOD! I live in a shotgun state and alot of hype has been generated over the use of the 410 in Indiana. I too, grew up with a 410 starter gun, but not on deer. I have shot many 410's to get them patterning slugs from Rossi, H&R, Mossberg, Remingtons, Winchesters, ect. I can tell you from shooting and knock down experience the 410 is a 30 yard gun at best. Please don't use BB or shoot beyond this distance. It will only result in a bad memory of a future hunter(child). 20 gauges with the proper fit and butt pad will give much better results. Just my 2 cents and experience speaking out loud?
Mike