Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning 7mmWSM Recoil >

Browning 7mmWSM Recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning 7mmWSM Recoil

Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning 7mmWSM Recoil

The 270 wsm recoil u listed is difrent than the chart on the shortmags.org page it list 18.8 ft lbs for the 140 gr failsafe and 20.7 for the 150 gr fired out of a 8.5lb m70 featherweight (8.5lbs after scope and shells). maybe they use difrent methods for calculating recoil?
Old 04-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Woodseye:

There is nothing to be sorry about I just answered your question. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I havn' t shot my new .270WSM yet, but I was happy to see that, according to the chart, it was rated as less kick then my 30-06 in a 165 grain by a couple of pounds.
My current 30-06 is lighter than my new .270WSM, and the 06 doesn' t have a recoil pad. I never minded the 30-06, so this news sounds pretty darn good to me!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 04-07-2003, 03:36 PM

I think many variables that needed to be considered were not in this case. First gun weight can significantly reduce the kick. If you have a .338 you dont want a gun under 6 pounds or that thing will be flyin back at you. Secondly, while hunting it doesnt matter what gun you shoot, 9 out of 10 times you dont even notice the kick because of the thrill of the hunt. That leaves just sighting the gun in where the kick is possibley problematic, so use a sandbag or some good padding. I think recoil is an overrated phenomena that good hunters can get beyond.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

" Getting beyond" recoil has nothing to do with being a good hunter. Let the surgeons chop up your shoulder a few times and see if you don' t agree with me.

I also know many, many fine hunters who choose to shoot the .257 Roberts, the .260 Rem and the 7x57 precisely because they do not kick, and they are able to practice, practice, practice with them so they can pretty much place their bullets with surgical precision any time they want and from any shooting position. Try that with a .338 Win Mag.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Maybe thats my youth talking, being 21 I think I still enjoy the kick. Didnt mean to offend.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the point crazydd4 is trying to make is that part of recoil is mental, which is true to a point. If a shooter thinks beforehand that a 243 Win is going to kick the crud out of them then more than likely it will. However, a positive attitude can go a long way in taming recoil. That being said I also see and can attest to seattlesetters point. Due to a shoulder injury right before the hunting season last year I was unable to handle much recoil at all without suffering. Thank goodness I for the 7mm-08 Rem. Due to the light recoil I was able to fill my tag, but I can also shoot it at the range enough to be highly proficient with it. My 300 Win Mag is now at the back of the safe. I still love the rifle and the cartridge, but until my shoulder is back to 100% and I have something bigger than deer to hunt I will continue to shoot the " ladies/wimp/sissy/whatever else you want to call them" guns and I feel no less a man for doing so.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Spike

I have the modol 7 short mag in 7mm. I think the recoil is less than my 30-06. What gives with Browning?
Old 04-08-2003, 05:49 AM

We are all different in this respect and what one sees as quite tolerable another can' t stand.Myself,I regard anything from 30ft lbs down to be tolerable and not so bad as to effect my accuracy.Having an undamaged,unworked on shoulder thats my limit,it takes most of the deer cartridges into account and puts my 300WSM with 180' s right up at the top of tolerance in a 7 1/2# gun.Gun weight is paramount as any recoil chart will show, as is a good recoil pad.If ANY gun bothers your accuracy to ANY point then a step down in recoil or a step up in gun weight will be a good thing.Barring physical damage to your shoulder its a good bet that when shooting at game you will not feel the kick or even remember it later.But its at the bench where we develop good and bad shooting habits and where the dreaded " flinch" can come into play,its not about being macho,its about putting close together holes in the target to gain confidance in your self and gun.Have someone load your gun for you and once and a while slip an empty in the chamber and see how you react to planned shot.Sometimes a huge flinch will surface if the gun is giving you a pretty good beating and your losing that ability to have the gun surprise you when it goes off.Recoil is relative to each person and it pays to find a caliber that you can shoot accurately and with some comfort,a 7mm-08 shot accurately will be far better than a 300 mag firing huge patterns due to the recoils effects on shooter.Sorry for the rant,I' ll shut up now [&:]

woods

Old 04-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree fully!

Although I have much more experience shooting archery, target panic can develop within any negative situation, and some that experience this phenomenon never get rid of it. Even if the pounding is somewhat tolerable, it can still lead to a bodies natural reaction to " flinch" or react in someway to the shot.

I don' t know what my 30-06 with a 165 gr. bullet has for pounds of kick, but I enjoy shooting the gun. I don' t enjoy shooting my 12ga slug gun, and I didn' t enjoy shooting my friends new Browning .300WSM last year at hunting camp. Whether it would eventually lead into flinching, I don' t know, but I didn' t want to take the chance on a new gun and that' s what lead me to the .270WSM. I really want to be able to enjoy going out once a month and shooting a box of shells without having to place a sandbag between my shoulder and the rifle. In fact, many times I go out and place the shoot the gun from a chair, just as I would be shooting out of a treestand.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Quick Reply: Browning 7mmWSM Recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.