Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Expensive scopes fog too! >

Expensive scopes fog too!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Expensive scopes fog too!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Expensive scopes fog too!

We always leave ours in the barn come rifle season. Nothing like not being able to see the deer come first light!
-Jake
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
MagnumMan308

Like others havesaid, all the money in the world spent on optics cant keep them from getting condensation on the outer lenses durring major temperature shifts. I have Zeiss Conquests, and Leupold VX-II's on all of my deer rifles, and they will all do the same thing if you take them into the house, or out into the cold after getting warmed up. For this reason, as others have said, its pretty common practice to leave your rifles outside (in a garage, muckroom, or even in your truck) for the course of a season. It keeps the scope from getting condensation, and more importantly, it keeps the metal from gathering condensation, which creeps everywhere and causes rust and wood warping.

Good scopes are fantastic for things like light gathering, clarityand reliability, but they cant work miracles

Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 AM

Good suggestions.

Leave gun in truck or somewhere outside overnightto help prevent from fogging
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I was spoiled by my elite 3200, it never fogged or blurred ever, even with snow on the lenses! I sold it last year cause I didnt like the thick reticle.

I didnt mean to bash leupold or zeiss , they are very well made products,it just frustrated me to have spent decent $$$ on a scope and not be able to see through it on opening day.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's completely normal for scope lenses to fog like yours did. All you need to do is treat the outside lenses with anti-fog or rain-X and that will solve ALL your problems.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never noticed consensation when taking the gun from the house to the outside cold air.

I do see it when coming back in, or when exhaling on the cold lense.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Did it fog up internally or was it just condensation on the outside of the lens?
Fogging outside the lenses is normal dur to temp change. Yeah, rainguard helps. But you can buy some anti-fog stuff to put on your lenses. Scopedope is good. Or you can ask any optomitrist for some anti-fog solution.
No, it did not fog internally but the leupold was so cold ,from being in the truck all night, it had to warm up before it stopped fogging on the outside.

As far as the ziess goes, I think any scope in that weather would have fogged but Im gonna leave it in the truck overnight too, to see what happens.

I'll look into some scopedope , thanks
Leupolds at least are guaranteed to be fogproof-on the inside, that is! A combination of cold glass and WARM, MOIST air will give you fog on the outside but there's no cure for this except to leave the scope in the cold environment. I used Leupolds in Alaska, and had no problems whatsoever. BUT I left them in the truck at night on the day before hunting with them so they'd be the same temp as the outside air.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

common practice in many PA deer camps is to leave rifles outside in the woodshed or similar...safe and secure of course...

just for the temp change reason..80 degree camp to 20 degrees outside your going to have issues....

even when im home i leave my rifle safely in the unheated garage when its rifle season.
No. It works the same way defroster in your car does....

The warm glass evaporates what moisture is on the glass, and doesn't attract moisture (fog) to the glass. Bringing a scope from warm to cold wont bother it, cold to warm, and you'll fog up.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

I've never noticed consensation when taking the gun from the house to the outside cold air.

I do see it when coming back in, or when exhaling on the cold lense.
EXACTLY
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

ORIGINAL: mauser06

common practice in many PA deer camps is to leave rifles outside in the woodshed or similar...safe and secure of course...

just for the temp change reason..80 degree camp to 20 degrees outside your going to have issues....

even when im home i leave my rifle safely in the unheated garage when its rifle season.
No. It works the same way defroster in your car does....

The warm glass evaporates what moisture is on the glass, and doesn't attract moisture (fog) to the glass. Bringing a scope from warm to cold wont bother it, cold to warm, and you'll fog up.
I beg to differ on that one... I used to go out for PT without my glasses because they would fog up when I'd get outside. Fort Leonardwood is cold as hell ecspecially in the morning, but when I started running it would get worse. Then finally about 30mins into a PT session they would un-fog. So I think it depends entirely on the type of lens...

Quick Reply: Expensive scopes fog too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.