Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 last time I'll bother you all with this.... >

last time I'll bother you all with this....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

last time I'll bother you all with this....

Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default last time I'll bother you all with this....

First I want to thank all of you that weighed in with opinions on which turkey / deer combo to get.

I have pretty much decided on the remington 870 combo (wish I could find it in camo )
If 99% of all my deer shots would be within 50 yards, would I even need an extra barrel? Or could I just shoot a slug out of the turkey barrel and save me some $$?

Thanks again!
Don
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: last time I'll bother you all with this....

No bother at all. The question must be answered by you. I mean, you are the one that needs to be comfortable about accuracy from a smooth bore. I have a friend that can shoot deer through the heart at 100 yards with a smooth bore shotgun with bead sight all day long. I myself feel more comfortable with a rifled slug barrel and a scope.

I bought the 870 express magnum combo with 28" bird barrel and 23" rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount a few years back. I mounted a 2-7 x32mm Nikon Pro-Staff shotgun scope on the slug barrel. I like the whole package.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: BIG DONNIE BRASCO

If 99% of all my deer shots would be within 50 yards, would I even need an extra barrel? Or could I just shoot a slug out of the turkey barrel and save me some $$?
It all dependds on how YOUR gun shoots. My dad has an Ithica that gets 3" groups at 100 yards with a smoot bore barrel and my G-Pa has a Remington 100 that is lucky to get 3" groups at 50 yards with a smooth bore barrel. For 50 yards you should be fine but i like having the rifled barrel to be 100% sure and if you have a shot out to 100 yards you know you can do it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Since you really want the camo, you can always just by the camo turkey gun, then add a cantilever barrel later. I know the combos save a little money up front, but I don't believe they market the combo you want in camo. The new 870 SPS ShurShot stock turkey gun is pretty hot. There are plenty of options for an add-on rifled cantilever for the 870.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM

I know Mossberg has a combo that comes in camo.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I used my benneli nova for slug hunting for years a;lways used the bird barrel I like the accuracy that can be achieved at distances with the longer barrel I have shot rifled barrels and smooth bore to tell the truth I cant tell the differance.