HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Experience with the Ruger number one?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/27387-experience-ruger-number-one.html)

broey1 03-31-2003 03:46 PM

Experience with the Ruger number one??

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger number one? Call me crazy, but I' m thinking about getting a single shot rifle. Mostly for deer or elk. Any thoughts on reliability and accuracy???

Ruger-Redhawk 03-31-2003 04:32 PM

RE: Experience with the Ruger number one??

As a Rule the Ruger #1' s are very accurate.Thay have a very strong action.Some months back I made a trade for a #1 S/S limited edition in 45/70.It was to be sold only through " Gold Label" dealers only.I shot it before I made the trade. @100yards I had a couple holes touching each other.They were low but I wasn' t the one who sighted it in.The guy I got it from worked up a very accurate load for it. With proper shot placement you' ll only need one shot,so I wouldn' t let being a single shot worry me.
Ruger Redhawk

halcon 03-31-2003 07:03 PM

I have neve owned one ,just shot a couple of them . The ones I have seen have all be accurate and I plan to buy one . They have some #1' s in a auction that is coming up that I will try and bid in . I want a 6mm Rem in the #1-b and a #1 rsi in 243 win.. Just depends how crazy the bidding gets,always looking for a bargain .

James B 03-31-2003 07:43 PM

I had two of them. One a 416 Rem Mag. The other a 45-70. They are very good rifles but nowadays I think the price has gotten out of hand. I now shoot NEF single shots. They are very accuate dependable and you can buy three of them for the price of the Ruger.

Vapodog 03-31-2003 10:03 PM

that' s not been my experience.....accuracy from the Ruger #1 is not up to par.....I' m not at all thrilled with them.

Nomercy 04-01-2003 09:25 AM

I absolutely love them, for one they are RUgers, two, they are gorgeous, three, they shoot like a dream. They might not be as inherently accurate as bolt actions, but they are more so than enough to hunt with, they are probably the most accurate falling block I' ve ever encountered, I had an international years ago in .30-06 that shot 1.5MOA out to 250yrds, which isn' t bad at all from a factory rifle, especially one in a falling block with two piece stock!!! Just for their astetics I think everyone should own one at one point, because they are gorgeous, especially the fully stocked International version. For BR shooting, no, they aren' t up to par, but no " hunting rifle" is, no factory rifle is for that matter. I had a gunsmith tell me that the best he could make a standard No. 1 with a new synthetic stock shoot was going to be .5-.75MOA out to 300-400, which would have been great for me, but I don' t need that accuracy hunting, 1.5MOA was more than accurate enough!!

Their only pitfall is that they are a bit pricey, $885 for the one I want (.45-70 in the stainless/laminate) and barely less for others, but you can find them for much less than that, a shop around here has them for $450-500 new depending on the cal and model.

propmahn 04-01-2003 12:05 PM

i want one in 45-70. and how many times do you really need a follow up shot in the maybe 1 second faster that most people operate bolts. with practice i hear you can become very fast with the single shto action.

jed 04-04-2003 12:49 PM

I had one in 25-06, one in 280 and the latest is the stainless laminate in 22-250. They are not all that light and no they are not as accurate as benchrest shooters would like, but with handloads in a gravel pit my friend shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards at .348 with my .280. I love them and if I didn' t have riflitis I would still have the 280. I had to swap it for a new barrel for my 25-20 and a synthetic stock for the 308. If you are looking for a nice singleshot you cannot go wrong with the #1. I haven' t had time to do much shooting or hunting with the latest one but boy is she pretty. Get one you won' t regret it. If accuracy is truly a concern, timney makes a drop in trigger and a rubber O Ring will hang the fore arm. I truly have enjoyed mine.

eldeguello 04-05-2003 10:20 AM

There are no ambivalent feelings about this rifle (kinda like George Armstrong Custer). You either love them or hate them! I have owned five No. 1' s and one No.3. ALL OF MINE HAVE BEEN CAPABLE OF MOA rigfht out of the box with no fooling with the forends or anything! My 7mm Rem. Mag. shot 1" groups at 200 yards from day 1, (a 1968 model 1B), and I have a 7X57 No.1A (Liberty Model), that shot its' first 10-shot group with Remington factory ammo which I shot up to get some cases to reload. This 10-shot group measured just exactly 1 inch!!

However, some people have had just the opposite kind of experience with the
No. 1' s! Mine are all older ones, made in the late 1960' s and early to mid-70' s, and I hear that some of the more recent ones don' t have barrels that are as good as the older ones. But I cannot personally verify this.

Zeak 04-07-2003 09:57 AM

I' d love to own one in a 25-06 someday. Zeak