HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   which .17 rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/27374-17-rifle.html)

outdoorsmen 03-31-2003 12:18 PM

which .17 rifle

which .17 rifle is the one to get? The Anschtuz (sp) is out of the question, i just want one to paly with. I was thinking Savage or marlin. I heard the ruger is not very accurate.

makes and models please.

TREEDOG 03-31-2003 01:49 PM

RE: which .17 rifle

Marlin .17 vs. Im waiting on gettin around to odering the bkl mounts and a bigger scope than what i have on it currently. So far i can get some 1/2' ' groups at about 30 yards with my cheapo scope that isnt very clear. The gun shoots alot better than i do with the stump i use for a rest with a coat on it. I dont regret buying the marlin one bit, its a nice gun and i think anyone would be happy to own one.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-31-2003 04:48 PM

I' ve looked the Marlin, Savage and Ruger 17' s.The Ruger had much better workmanship and a price to go along with it.. The Savage was nice and everything was well fitted. The Marlin was a different story.The workmanship was not up to Marlin' s standards.I was very disappointed the way the trigger guard was installed.The blue on the bolt handle was missing in spots.This was a brand new rifle.EventuallyI' ll break down and get a new 17HMR.Most likely it will be the Ruger. If not then the Savage will get the sale.That was the only Marlin I have looked at.It might has slipped through quality control but it sure was a let down to me.
Ruger Redhawk

MR300WM 03-31-2003 05:27 PM

Don' t forget the NEF single shot.

halcon 03-31-2003 06:34 PM

The Ruger is the best looking ,but thats a lot of money for just a plinking rifle. I also looked at the Savage and that would be the one I would go with .

TREEDOG 03-31-2003 07:27 PM

Ruger-red ive heard of another person not completly satisfied with theres(marlin)but the one i bought (the stainless) seemed to be put together fine. Most of the users on the marlin forumns seem to like therse as well. . my friend in IL had the ruger and said it was a real tack driver. The only thing i dislike about my marlin is the clip sticks out of the stock. Regarding the nef ive heard dozens of stories from others who had misfire problems with them and others who had no problems. Ive yet to miss my target yet with the marlin, friday i plan on running the cci .17 hmr ammo through it.

James B 03-31-2003 07:34 PM

The NEF single shot is very accurate and its about 149.00 bucks with scope base.

3030win 03-31-2003 08:02 PM

I got an NEF. I paid $140 for it and I love it. Most of the time I line up a bunch of 22 lr cases a pick them off at about 30yds, and thats an easy shot for this gun.

handloader1 03-31-2003 10:29 PM

Of all the tests on these rifles, I have read the Marlin is the most accurate. Good luck with your choice.