Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A day at the range with my 270.  (Factory ammo only) >

A day at the range with my 270. (Factory ammo only)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A day at the range with my 270. (Factory ammo only)

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A day at the range with my 270. (Factory ammo only)

Carpet - I don't think you understand what we are trying to tell you. The point is not to shoot 5 of one load then 5 of another, etc. But to shoot one round each at a different target then repeat.
Example: 1st shot load #1
2nd shot load #2
3rd shot load #3
4th shot load #4
5th shot load #1, then load #2, load #3, etc.
Actually, to really check the accuracy and remove the fouling variable is to do what the muzzleloaders do and that is to swap the bore between each shot. Of course black powder and substitutes leave a lot more residue behind than smokeless powder.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

In all seriousness,I understand what you are saying, but I am not really all that precise in my shooting and certainly I am going to have a cardiac encounter if a big buck gets in front of me. Gun seems to be shooting the hornaday best. Its a Stock Reminton gun with factory loads. I only can use it in a few places i hunt. To get this kind of grouping for me is pretty impressive since i am used to shooting a slug gun for 90% of my hunting purposes. IF I could use the rifle 90% of the time i would probaly be reloading rounds for it untilI could cut bullet holes, but that is just not a very economical investment for me at this point...If I fire my rifle 3 times hunting each yearI got meat for the freezer. I bought this gun last year in a hurry and just threw whatever scope I could afford on it at the time,bought some core-lokt bulletsand took it out hunting. I never had any chance really to play with differentfactory loads to even see if different loads would give it any better performance.I rarely even look at a deer over 200yrds.

I am used to hunting a 30-06 with open sights. The 270 with a scope is a blessing having around a1in group with factory loads without free floating the barrel, or a trigger job, barrel upgrade, or any other mods suits my purposes beautifully...I was just slightly excited about my findings with the hornady factory loads...thanks for humbling me...lol
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Those are good results and it's always a blessing to get a rifle that shoots factory loads well. I load thousands of rounds every year for about 8 different cartridges. When I chance onto a combo like the one that you found, I go back and get a couple more boxes of that same lot of ammo. It happened to me on my old '94. I spent a lot of time, energy, and money developing a load for it and took off on a spur-of-the-moment hunt without my loads. Stopped in WalMart, picked up a box of PowerPoints and they shot so well (dropped a nice buck too) that I went back on the way home and bought 5 more boxes.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to keep in mind is that factory loads tend to change over time. Different powder, primers etc...

So another box of those same bullets next year may not produce the same result.

Tom
Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 boxes...well 2.5 now..so that should last me about 3 years...Figure maybe use a box a year. The hornady brass seem to be alot heavier than the reminton or the blue box federal. Bullets seem to be alot more uniform and come to a more distinct point as well....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Spike

Found out my X-bolt loves Hornady factory ammo as well. Though I've only tried the interbonds and sst's.