Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Do I need to re sight? >

Do I need to re sight?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do I need to re sight?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do I need to re sight?

In my 30-06 I've been shooting Winchester just regular old Silvertips in 150 grain. It's sighted in like I want it. My question is if I switch to shooting the Winchester Ballistics Silver Tips in 150 grain do I need to resight it in or will it shoot mostly the same? I'm hoping I can get away without resighting it in as I don't want to waste the ballistic bullets as they are expensive but I'm not sure if it will still shoot in the same spot or not. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do I need to re sight?

Well, the best thing to do is take a poke or two with it, and then you'll know for sure. I know if it was me, I'd certainly want to know, and not be taking someone else's presumptions....
Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to ask the answer is YES.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would re sight it, if for nothing else than peace of mind.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

If you have to ask the answer is YES.
That's basically what I was going to say... When in doubt, re-sight-in
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Your going to have to at least check it, maybe you will have to adjust it maybe you won't. Why wouldn't you anyway? You should at the very least shoot your gun before the season to make sure nothing moved and to get a little practice anyway. If not all year long on a occasion just for the practice and fun of it.

Anyone that pulls their gun off from the rack or out of the case opening day for the first time since last season is just asking for trouble in my opinion. These are normally the same people that wonder why they miss or wound deer.

Paul
Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

shoot it, two or three shots through off a rest just to make sure. It probable wont change much, but it could.
-Jake
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Resight it. My old 30-06 using the same round shot about 5" difference at 100 yards.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had just sighted it in recently for the other silvertips that's why I was asking.

I hate this Leupold scope. I'm still wondering if the scope is bad. I shot and hit the bullseye the first two times. After that I shot about 3" high. I grouped several there so I adjusted the scope down some. I got it about 1" high so I turned it down two notches which should have been 1/2" down. Then it started hitting 3" high again and this time to the left about 2-3". I never even touched the side to side adjustments. I'm halfway wondering if something isn't broken in this scope again. I shot a few more and they always grouped high to the left. Adjust it back up to where it was when it was 1" high and shot and it didn't hit the target. Did 2 of these. Well, three but on one I wasn't ready when I shot and it that grouped with the others and then the other 2 didn't even hit the target. It's like it adjusts sometimes how I want it to then other times it goes in the opposite direction. In a better vise I got it adjusted before but since I don't have access to that anymore I have to use my cheapo vise but I can still hit decently in the same spot everytime it just wont move where I want.

Any tips? Does this sound like a bad scope or me just pulling? BTW I let it cool down after every 2 shots. So it wasn't getting too hot. I have a spare Burris scope I'm tempted to put this on and have this one sent back to Leupold again.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM

I'd check the mounts. Leupold makes some fine scopes so I would doubt it is the scope. Maybe the mounts are loose

Quick Reply: Do I need to re sight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.