Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Do I need to re sight? >

Do I need to re sight?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do I need to re sight?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do I need to re sight?

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

If you have to ask the answer is YES.
I agree! If you're that cncerned about the cost of a few cartridges, then maybe you either should be considering a different load or start loading your own. You either take the chance and have a poorly oplaced shot on the game animal resulting in a wounded animal (unethical) or a comlete miss all because you didn't want to "waste" the few cartridges to be sure it's sighted in properly.
ANY ammo I use, be it reloaded or factory loded is checked. If gotta buy it, I buy two boxes.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: idunno

I'd check the mounts. Leupold makes some fine scopes so I would doubt it is the scope. Maybe the mounts are loose
I checked them last time I went through this and they seemed tight. I don't get why this scope wont won't adjust where I tell it too and I'm getting tired of messing with it. Everytime I try to adjust it I have these problems of it going to new random places when I adjust it. Yet somehow my $30 Tasco has no problem adjusting to shoot dead on at 100 yards.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I always re-sight in when ever I change anything. i always sight in at the beginning of the season just to make sure nothing changed.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like if you touch this Leupold wrong it looses zero. Not sure if it's something wrong with it or if it's just that crappy of a scope.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

everytime you buy new ammo you will have to resight your scope. Doesn't matter if it's the same brand same bullet weight. Unless it is the same lot number you will have to resight. As for the scope being off it sounds more like you are pulling the trigger or anticipating the recoil (flinching) and inadvertently moving the rifle and changing point of impact. How long have you had that scope on the rifle? If you changed it recently then maybe it's possibly the scope. Maybe you could let one of your buddies shoot it and see if they can do any better. You should also shoot three round groups and let it cool down in between each group depending on your barrel thickness.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ng) and inadvertently moving the rifle and changing point of impact. How long have you had that scope on the rifle? If you changed it recently then maybe it's possibly the scope. Maybe you could let one of your buddies shoot it and see if they can do any better. You should also shoot three round groups and let it cool down in between each group depen
ORIGINAL: Palladin8

everytime you buy new ammo you will have to resight your scope. Doesn't matter if it's the same brand same bullet weight. Unless it is the same lot number you will have to resight. As for the scope being off it sounds more like you are pulling the trigger or anticipating the recoil (flinching) and inadvertently moving the rifle and changing point of impact. How long have you had that scope on the rifle? If you changed it recently then maybe it's possibly the scope. Maybe you could let one of your buddies shoot it and see if they can do any better. You should also shoot three round groups and let it cool down in between each group depending on your barrel thickness.
Probably about a year and 5 or 6 months old. I had it for about 6 months and then had to send it to Leupold for repair as it looked kind of like it was shaking after you shot. So I sent it in. Used a Tasco while the Leupold was being repaired. Got it back a month or two later I think a month but not sure. Put it back on the rifle and have had it back on there for not quite a year now.

As for groups I was trying to shoot 2 then let it cool. Once or twice I shot 3 in a group however, most times I shot 2 times then let it cool for a few minutes. This thing gets hot quick.

I can get it grouping together but it's like when I move it it moves wherever it wants to. Maybe it's just me though.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

If all your screws are tight on your bases anad your rings and your shots are still jumping around, I would call Leupold and notify them. They will take it back and look at it. I've seen a couple of Leupolds go bad.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Try mounting the Burris on there and see what that does. Try to eliminate all your varibles. If you still have problems with the Burris then you should switch out Rings. If there is still trouble well then you have other problems.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Palladin8

Try mounting the Burris on there and see what that does. Try to eliminate all your varibles. If you still have problems with the Burris then you should switch out Rings. If there is still trouble well then you have other problems.
I'm seriously thinking about this.

However, it doesn't just jump around if you shoot it. It groups pretty good however if you adjust it down to bring the groups down who knows where it will go. It doesn't seem to adjust where I tell it to.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Was it just me pulling "..??..

That's a question you have to answer yourself...How confident are you of your shooting off the bench..??..

If you are confident of your shooting, it sounds to me like something is loose...Bases...rings...bedding screws on your rifle...etc.

I'd certainly check all these things before I swapped scopes..