HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   sst vs. core lokt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/271544-sst-vs-core-lokt.html)

hurley0816 11-03-2008 05:15 PM

sst vs. core lokt

anybody ever compare the two? if so i would like to know how much of a difference there was. thanks

outdoorsmen 11-03-2008 05:44 PM

RE: sst vs. core lokt

rifle ammo or slugs?need more info

hurley0816 11-03-2008 06:57 PM

i was looking at .243 ammo, but any rifle ammo will do.

Retaks 11-04-2008 01:48 AM

there is a major difference in them. SST is more of a ballistic tip and the Core Lokt is a Pointed Soft Point. They also have a major difference in price tags. What more do you wanna know?

hurley0816 11-04-2008 07:36 AM

looking for a reliable mushroom and good penetration out to 150-200yds but still good if I get a close up shot at 50 yds. oh and it would be for whitetail. thanks

RugerM77.270 11-04-2008 07:38 AM

If you shoot a deer with either it won't go far as long as you place the shot right. My opinion is the cor-lokt will hold up better if you hit heavy bone. Really get a box of each ans see which one your gun likes best, and hope its the cor-lokts becasue they're cheaper.

CarpetBagger 11-04-2008 08:12 AM

Im gonna go out on a limb here and probaly get bashed a bit, but there is a story behind my madness.

I feel the quality control and tolerances with core-lokt is lacking, which is why they have that low price tag. Ammuniton is really not advertised that heavily, so when you see a box for $35-$42 your kinda are getting what you pay for anymore. Will core-lokt shoot good and kill a whitetail, absolutly....

Here is my experience. I always hunted with my great uncles 30-06with open sights. I used to shoot 180grain Core-Lokt out of it with no problems and have killed probaly 5 deer with that gun prior to getting my own rifle. Last season i finally put the money together for myselfto get myself a good modern hunting rifle with a scope, this is when i started getting very serious about hunting and spending alot more time in the woods. I got a remmington 700 stainless with leupold scope.

I sighted it in with 130grain core-lokt bullets and was hunting with them as well it was grouping ok at 100 yrds 2". 3 days into the season in WV i had a small 8pt buck walk out in front of me. I decided it was going to be my shooter for the year. I pulled up with the 270 put the cross hairs on him and boom touched one off on him...The deer ran off immediatlyabout 50yrds and crashed down a hill (I actually thoughtI had missed at 1st). Now after a brief search for the deerI finally found him. Bullet hit on one side then it OVER expanded and fragmented all through the cavity with no exit hole. I had taken out the liver which is what killed him.

The very next dayI was shooting for a doe. I had a few step out in front of me and just before it got dark decided that I was going to take one of them. Put the cross hairs upjust behindher shoulder and touched one off. She dropped over like a tree. When i came to the animal i noticed that now i had an entry and an exit hole through the front shoulder with NO expansion of the bullet, it just ripped right through her delivering minimal damage or shock...needless to say i was not impressed by the terminal performance of these bullets in my 270.

I since then have switched over to Hornaday SP and Federal Fusion all of which seem to shoot good and perform good in the animal...I still use the core-lokt at the range to sight in, but when its Me vs Deer, i spend the extra $1 a shot just for the piece of mind...

Doe Dumper 11-04-2008 02:07 PM

LOL Only in America would we complain about the ammo's performance with 2 shots and 2 dead deer.

Big Guy01 11-04-2008 02:21 PM

Nothing wrong with corelok bullets, Rem ammo needs a lot of work. a few years ago I purchased a 30-30 marlin for my son, he was in a hurry to shoot it. I bought 2 boxes of 170 gr ammo. best we could do was 7-9
inch groups from the bench at 100 yds. Needless to say we were dissapointed. I got a set of dies, used rem cases,ww primers and corelok bullets. groups shrank to 1.5 inches and velocity went up by 200 fps.

skybuster20ga 11-04-2008 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

Im gonna go out on a limb here and probaly get bashed a bit, but there is a story behind my madness.

I feel the quality control and tolerances with core-lokt is lacking, which is why they have that low price tag. Ammuniton is really not advertised that heavily, so when you see a box for $35-$42 your kinda are getting what you pay for anymore. Will core-lokt shoot good and kill a whitetail, absolutly....

Here is my experience. I always hunted with my great uncles 30-06with open sights. I used to shoot 180grain Core-Lokt out of it with no problems and have killed probaly 5 deer with that gun prior to getting my own rifle. Last season i finally put the money together for myselfto get myself a good modern hunting rifle with a scope, this is when i started getting very serious about hunting and spending alot more time in the woods. I got a remmington 700 stainless with leupold scope.

I sighted it in with 130grain core-lokt bullets and was hunting with them as well it was grouping ok at 100 yrds 2". 3 days into the season in WV i had a small 8pt buck walk out in front of me. I decided it was going to be my shooter for the year. I pulled up with the 270 put the cross hairs on him and boom touched one off on him...The deer ran off immediatlyabout 50yrds and crashed down a hill (I actually thoughtI had missed at 1st). Now after a brief search for the deerI finally found him. Bullet hit on one side then it OVER expanded and fragmented all through the cavity with no exit hole. I had taken out the liver which is what killed him.

The very next dayI was shooting for a doe. I had a few step out in front of me and just before it got dark decided that I was going to take one of them. Put the cross hairs upjust behindher shoulder and touched one off. She dropped over like a tree. When i came to the animal i noticed that now i had an entry and an exit hole through the front shoulder with NO expansion of the bullet, it just ripped right through her delivering minimal damage or shock...needless to say i was not impressed by the terminal performance of these bullets in my 270.

I since then have switched over to Hornaday SP and Federal Fusion all of which seem to shoot good and perform good in the animal...I still use the core-lokt at the range to sight in, but when its Me vs Deer, i spend the extra $1 a shot just for the piece of mind...
first off you cant blame the bullet for the deer running off a little ways when you shot him in the liver. and second, what makes you think the bullet didnt expand on your doe?? what kind of an exit hole were you looking for exactly? somethin you could put your fist in??? got to barnes bullets website and watch theyre video on what a bullet actually does.

w/ that said ive used core lokts for my whole life and so has my whole family. ive seen complete pass throughs ive seen the bullets seperate from the jackl ive seen the decinergrate. they did all have one thing in common though........dead deer most in their tracks.

w/ that said if you want a bullet thats top of the line in my opinion shoot barnes or evern the tbbc......