Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin XL-7??  Anybody shot one? >

Marlin XL-7?? Anybody shot one?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin XL-7?? Anybody shot one?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Marlin XL-7?? Anybody shot one?

I have read a few reviews on this plebeian rifle and there weren't many criticisms. I just wondered if anyone here has bought, held, or shot one ... Just curious since I have a few Friends interested in deer hunting and before I have them spend up to $600.00 I though I'd see about these lower priced options. So, if you have any first hand experience with this rifle I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Marlin XL-7?? Anybody shot one?

I got one a couple wks ago in a .270. I was suprised at how well it shot. It will out shoot the 2 Rem. 700's that we took to the range with it. After getting the scope where I wanted it I shot a 3 shot group at 100ydsthat all touched. After letting it cool abit my buddy shot 3 in under an inch. My buddy and I both have around $1000 in the Remingtons and the Marlin made them look bad right out of the box and I have about $400 in it with the scope and mounts. Plus the Marlin has the adjustable trigger similar to the accu-trigger on a Savage. Theres no way I will pay for another Remmy when I can get one of the Marlins for less than half there price but I don't collect guns I hunt with them.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 AM

I finally found one at DSG's the other day and went to look at it, nothing fancy that's for sure. But that is what I expected and I wasn't looking for a gun to stare at anyway. Haven't shot one yet, but I have not read anything negative about them yet. I just bought a Tikka T3 which I'm hoping will outshoot the Remmy's that my dad and uncle use.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Spike

Bass pro has them in their current sales ad for 279.00 .
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine just bought one last week in 30/06.. took it to the range and it performed very well as far as grouping.
He cleaned it well at home and then swabbed it out BONE DRY as I suggested.
I also told him to shoot 2 throw aways at the range.. don't even check the group until he had 2 fouling shots in it. He then proceeded to go through 12 rounds to get it on paper and shooting dead on at 100 yards.
He then cleaned it again to bone dryand shot one fouling shot before checking it with another 3 shot group. It held it's zero.
He's happy and left it alone though I would have advised him to dial it in to be 2" high at 100 yards...
So far so good. I'll post any info here as he uses the rifle over the next months.