Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg ATR  ???  Anybody? >

Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

I have read a few reviews on this plebeian rifle and there weren't many criticisms. I just wondered if anyone here has bought, held, or shot one ... Just curious since I have a few Friends interested in deer hunting and before I have them spend up to $600.00 I though I'd see about these lower priced options. So, if you have any first hand experience with this rifle I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

I think id I was to go with a lower cost rifle, I'd go with the Stevens. Basically a toned down Savage and we know those shoot!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Spike

i own a ATR 100 in .270 cal. ill be using it this year for the first time on deer. but i have put a few boxes of ammo through it and it shoots very good and accurate. never had any problems with it when shootin.
i recomend this gun. glad i bought it.

not knocking on the stevens as i never shot one. but i looked at one before i bought my atr. to me the stevens felt like a plastic toy, the stock had sharp edges from the molds, the stock just didnt feel right, and the color was ugly. to me the atr felt alot more comfortable.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have one in .270. A great rifle with great accuracy and can handle a lot of abuse... I've put mine through hell. I've taken deer over 200 yards with it, with great results. Nothing to complain about other than the bolt. It has some play and it isn't all that crisp, and it has rust that just won't come off. I opened the gun out of the case and noticed it right off the bat. I'm not stressing it though.

Notice the rust... closer to the firing pin.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 AM

I purchased a Mossberg ATR 100 Camouflage 270 for my son two years ago. When we got the gun out last year to sight it in before hunting season we pulled the trigger and nothing happened. We took the bolt out and realized the firing pin had somehow sheared off. Neither myself or my son ever had the bolt out. We contacted Mossberg customer service. They were supposed to send out a pickup order and box for the rifle and we never received anything. We took the gun to a certified gunsmith and he unscrewed the firing pin from the bolt and said to call Mossberg and have them send you a new firing pin and he would put it in. So we called Mossberg and they refused to send us one. So needless to say it will be another season where this piece of sh** doesn't get used. Don't waste your money on one of these...spend a little more and get a real gun. Brian Tharp, 1003 S Main, Rock Port, MO 64482 660-744-2300 [email protected]

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Spike

wow thats the first ive heard the ATR having problems. ive had mine for a year now with no rust or firing problems.
just went out today to resight my scope in and had no problems. BTW cabelas bore sighters suck. bore sighted my 270 and my buddys 30.06 in at 50 yards and couldnt hit the paper at 70yards!!! had to do it the oldfashion way and got them dialed in.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every rifle company puts out a lemon every so often Remington, Tikka, Winchester, Weatherby, etc. Unfortunatily usually these lemons are the only ones anyone ever talks about.

On that Ihave a friend that has an ATRin 30-06 and loves his. Its never given a lick of trouble to him.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM

And what excuse do you have for the wonderful customer service from Mossberg? Do you suppose I got a lemon there, too? I really hope that's the case...but I doubt it.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm Im not sure....I have always had good experiences deal with mossberg for my shotguns....but that could be a whole different divisio of the company I suppose
-Jake
Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike

ive never had to deel with mossbergs customer service yet (knocks on wood) so i cant really say.

but according tothe parts diagram in my owners manual, you cant just buy the firing pin, you have to get the whole firing pin assembly. maybe thats why they wont send you just a firing pin?? did you ask forjust the pin or whole assembly??? maybe have the gunsmith call to see if he can get it??

Quick Reply: Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.