Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun questions >

shotgun questions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun questions

Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: shotgun questions

yeah i forgot to mention walmart. i can get a all black 702 plinkster from them for 105.00 bux!!!and they can special order any of the other guns BUT the one my wife wants. the new pink/marble stock wasnt in their books yet, too new.
but yeah check wally world and if they dont have one ask how much they order you one for, bet ya it will be alot cheaper then bass pro.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun questions

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I have a 870 Express Super Magnum or whatever the one that shoots 3 1/2" shells. I've had a lot of issues with it jamming very often and can't say I like the gun a whole lot. That seems to just be me though as lots of others seem to have good luck with them. If you want to shoot deer you probably either want buckshot or slugs. Slugs are nice if you want to use it like a rifle however, in a lot of places I use mine to hunt with slug's just aren't the answer so we use buckshot. If I was going to use slugs I'd rather just use the rifle. I use the shotgun with buckshot in places I can't use a rifle or slugs. Anyway, mine seems to like a full choke with Winchester 3" 000 buckshot. Doesn't seem to like 00 buckshot as much in 3" or 3 1/2". I don't know why. It also seems to like lock up the pump and you have to really hit it to get the pump to come back with the shell after a few shots with 2 3/4" shells. I've never tried buckshot in that size but it does that with target shot. 3" and 3 1/2" don't seem to have this problem but they just randomly jam like not kicking the shell all the way out or trying to send 2 into the chamber. Just random stuff like that.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as you may not want a slug gun depending on where you are hunting how you want to hunt and what your local laws are.
I'm willing to bet your stoppages are a result of poor ammunition. Myself (Rem 11-87) and a friend of mine (Rem 870) were shooting trap recently and both of us were having issues with our guns that we previously had not. Previous to this day I had religiously shot Remington Shotshells and so had my friend. We were both feeling like cheap-skates that day and purchased some Winchester shells because they were on sale and $3 cheaper for a box of 100 at Wal-Mart. I had about 15 stoppages of all different kinds and he had 7 times where he had to hit his stock on the ground to get his action to release. We both vowed to never, ever buy that garbage ammo again. Since then I have used Remington shells and haven't had a single issue.

Moral of the story: Don't buy the cheap stuff.