HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   another which rifle to buy post (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/270123-another-rifle-buy-post.html)

Blueditch42 10-26-2008 07:40 PM

another which rifle to buy post

I know you guys are tired of the post. I dont know jack crap about rifles. I am looking to purchase a rifle that if i want to go any big game hunting i wont have to worry about knock down and distance. I will be looking at bolt action guns. Like i said, I do not know anything about rifles. Thanks

vabyrd 10-26-2008 10:43 PM

RE: another which rifle to buy post

Well, you'll probably get a bunch of guys whinning about this and that, but here is your best bet, and you get it on your first reply. Buy a good quality 30-06. Its the most popular hunting round ever, and you can find ammo anywhere and in any configuration. Bullet weights from 125 to 220. Remington alone makes 21 different loads just for this caliber. Plenty of levels of guns from cheap to custom. I prefer to stay away from the prepacked rifle and scope combos. Once you decide your budget, look at both used and new. Sometimes your "used" dollars go further than "new". The economy is tight, lots of guys dumping their extras for cash. good Luck.

homers brother 10-27-2008 05:10 AM

vabyrd's recommendation is solid.

nralover 10-27-2008 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: homers brother

vabyrd's recommendation is solid.
X2- The .30-06 is more than enough gun for anything you'll run across...

DM 10-27-2008 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Well, you'll probably get a bunch of guys whinning about this and that, but here is your best bet, and you get it on your first reply. Buy a good quality 30-06. Its the most popular hunting round ever, and you can find ammo anywhere and in any configuration. Bullet weights from 125 to 220. Remington alone makes 21 different loads just for this caliber. Plenty of levels of guns from cheap to custom. I prefer to stay away from the prepacked rifle and scope combos. Once you decide your budget, look at both used and new. Sometimes your "used" dollars go further than "new". The economy is tight, lots of guys dumping their extras for cash. good Luck.
Good advice... A "properly" loaded 30-06at reasonable ranges will anchor any animal in the NA.. Just pick the proper load for the size animal your hunting and go...

DM

Handles 10-27-2008 09:27 AM

Good caliber choice, as far as the rifle it's self, I really don't think you can go wrong with a Savage stainless toped with a 3x9 Leupold. That gun in 30-06 will be great for anything, and it will have good resale value if you need it.

Mojotex 10-27-2008 12:11 PM

I second VABYRD. The 30.06 Spr. is about as versitle as any you could chose. Ammo is easy to fine, with plenty of options as to bullet style and bullet weight. A good bolt action is the way to go in my book for accuracy and dependability in the field. About any brand will do fine. I would suggest Ruger Model 77 Mk II, Remington 700, Savage 110 and Browning A-Bolt or X-Bolt. I use a Styer Pro Hunter and love it. But these are now a bit pricey and any of the se others will do fine.If I had to chose only one of the above for value, it'd be hard to beat the Ruger. I cannot emphasize enoughthat you need to spend $$$ on a good scope. You'll get a ton of suggestions on scope choice as well. It is my advice to go with the best that you can possibly afford.

vabyrd 10-27-2008 04:37 PM

And to toot my own horn, don't forget about the Tikka T-3. I've got a stainless/synthetic in '06 set up with a nikon Monarch. Its the rainny day special. Don't know how it shoots yet, but with scope, sling and empty mag, it weighs in at 6.6 lbs.

Wall_Hanger 10-27-2008 06:47 PM

vabyrd,

I just held a Tikka T-3 today for the first time and felt like I was holding a toy gun. The stock was so plastic looking and feeling that I couldn't believe it wasn't an air rifle. But I haven't read one bad thing about their design or how they hold up so I am kind of second guessing my initial observations. I've seen other people post about their T-3 and how great of a shooter it was but nobody has mentioned the durability so I guess that is a good thing. Have you heard anything negative about the stock?

vabyrd 10-27-2008 07:18 PM

I havent heard a thing. I believe they have to shoot a 1" group before they leave the factory. The biggest pain was the mounts. I hate the ones that came with the gun, and there are few available. the best I found are Talley bases and rings. Rock solid. The Warnes hung way over the edge of the dovetail and so did the one piece integrated Talleys. I finally went with the steel bases and rings. So far so good, but we'll see how well is shoots.