HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   sighting in (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/270117-sighting.html)

skybuster20ga 10-26-2008 07:23 PM

sighting in

just curious what method you guys use to line in your iron sighted rifles as far as target and sight picture go. and what distances. and also what kind of groups you acomplish. i was shooting mine today getting ready for the opener andmy groups at about 55yds were in a 3" circle off-hand. on the bench it was about a inch and a half.does that seem about right? ide like to use the bench at around 75/80yds but the target is eclipsed by the front sight. both rifles are 350 mag and 35 whelen

nchawkeye 10-26-2008 08:11 PM

RE: sighting in

Use the 6'oclock hold, then the sight doesn't get in the way of the target...

I sight my .54 caliber flintlock in at 2 inches high at 50 yards, dead on at 75 and 2 inches low at 100...
At 50 yards she keeps them inside an inch and a half...

vabyrd 10-26-2008 10:44 PM

Groups sound like my 30-30. I dont even bother past 50 yds with that gun, but I do use a peep sight.

eldeguello 10-27-2008 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Use the 6'oclock hold, then the sight doesn't get in the way of the target...

I sight my .54 caliber flintlock in at 2 inches high at 50 yards, dead on at 75 and 2 inches low at 100...
At 50 yards she keeps them inside an inch and a half...
Agree! Use the 6-o'clock hold. Being ex-military, this is the way I was taught. In addition, where possible & legal, I put aperture rear sights on all my iron-sighted guns. Then you are not going to obscure the spot you want the bullet to hit!

skybuster20ga 10-27-2008 10:09 AM

most all my rifles are peep sights but my new model 7 i wanted tokeep the irons on. thats what my ol man was tellin me to do is use a 6 oclock hold. it just isnt natural for me though. thanksfor the help

Gangly 10-29-2008 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Groups sound like my 30-30. I dont even bother past 50 yds with that gun, but I do use a peep sight.

my 30-30 seems to group 2 inch at 100 yards. not sure what the deal is with yours, or maybe mine is better than average? not sure.

Mojotex 10-29-2008 12:28 PM

When I shot iron sight exclusively, the afore mentioned 6-o'clock hold was my sight picture. I still shoot a 444 Marlin "Guide" using iron sights because I use it only in areas where 50-75 yards will be about it. While this gun and cartridge are indeed good to go on deer far beyond this range, my eyes are not !?!

nksmfamjp 10-29-2008 01:37 PM

I use a top of sight on horizontala lint with vert line coming out of the top. Try making your own sight in taget which is a letter sized paper with a plus shape on it. Lines should be 1~2 in thick. That should help you see the same center point. It is possible to shoot groups under 3" at 100 yards like this.

skybuster20ga 10-29-2008 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

I use a top of sight on horizontala lint with vert line coming out of the top. Try making your own sight in taget which is a letter sized paper with a plus shape on it. Lines should be 1~2 in thick. That should help you see the same center point. It is possible to shoot groups under 3" at 100 yards like this.
i did that last year. i actuially posted a while back mentioning that kind of a target......why i didnt try it again i dunno but your right that does work well.